Is second guessing

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by irrigationgrl, Feb 15, 2009.

1. irrigationgrl

irrigationgrl LawnSite Member

Is second guessing yourself a useful thought process in this line of work?

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

It is if you can get paid time and material while you're doing it payup

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Not very useful to me. Make a decision and stick with it. If it doesn't work, then change it next time. You'll be thinking coulda, woulda, shoulda all day long if you don't live with your decision.

Are you second guessing our little club here? :)

4. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

confidence is the key to most things

5. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

Sure it is! Uhhh, well.....maybe it isn't.
    Oh no! I can't decide! :confused:

6. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

I don't think you worded the question right. That or I am not following your question at all. Wondering, or "second guessing", why or how you got to point B from point A happens. Making an extra effort to second guess how you got to a particular point can be self destructive. Going back through your thought procedure when your current location in the problem solving path is not where you want to be is simple trouble shooting. The "what assumption did I make" that got me here and why was it WRONG is, again, just trouble shooting. Figuring out the "right" path separates the professional from the trunk slammer, but even a true pro can spend days on a project that "should" have only taken a couple of hours. Right ML?

Beating yourself up over how much you left on the table is a different kind of second guessing, and I've never found it productive. Make a decision about pricing you can live with and then LIVE with it.

7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Very true, you never quit learning. :cry:

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

That depends. If it leads to future improvements in application and efficiency, then yes it is useful, but not necessarily while on the job.

Correct preparation/planning is essential to any project and will help minimize your "second guessing" episodes.

That being said, don't be afraid to correct mistakes along the way especially if it is related to the quality of your work. Personally, if I see something during a job that I "should have done" a certain way, I correct it on my dime.

9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I've done designs off a LA plant call-out only to have to re-do the whole thing in the field to get proper coverage after the plant specs were changed. :dizzy:

10. ARGOS

ARGOS LawnSite Silver Member

I say there should be no first guessing. Helps avoid second guessing.