1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is sharpening blades necessary when bagging leaves?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tcls83, Oct 17, 2006.

1. tcls83

tcls83 LawnSite Member

I was wondering if it would be better to keep my blades sharp when bagging leaves with my Lazer Z w/Ultravac, or just throw a junk set of blades on and replace them maybe 2 times with my other sets of junk blades?

In the years past, I just put on my trashed sets of blades for doing cleanups, since sucking up leaves with a mower would destroy a good set of blades. And never really bothered to sharpen them. Even though I still give the property its final cut, the cut grass with the trashed blades seems to look decent.

So, how do you guys deal with blades for fall cleanups? Would sharpening really be necessary?
  2. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

I sharpen my blades every week in the Spring and Fall, it "cut's" down the time...I keep cleaning my deck as often as possible too.
  3. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, sharp blades are necessary. Eric_ELM put it this way to someone; something to the effect that you want to shred the leaves to death, not pound them.
  4. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

Sharp, as always - for grass or leaves.

"... since sucking up leaves with a mower would destroy a good set of blades... "

I don't see any noticeable damage to my regular Lazer blades when sucking up leaves into the Accelerator.
  5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Yea because the bagger will carry more shredded leaves. Full leaves will fill up the bagger a lot more quicker that ground up leaves.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

it's a problem keeping them sharp though cause you can easily run over things buried under the leaves
  7. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I use gator magnums and run over too many sticks and stuff to keep them as sharp as i normally would. If i hit something big i make sure to sharpen them. I have never had a problem with "duller" blades during leaf season, most of the time im just mulching leaves and not cutting much grass anyways. The lawns still come out just as good :)
  8. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

my guys have enough problems when stuffs not buried under the leaves
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I hear ya on that one Tom...last year I ran over a steel rake (sticking up of course) and a claw hammer under the leaves on the same property. Needless to say, I was just a little po'ed.
  10. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

I typically won't sharpen my gators until after the clean ups are done. If you sharpen them, do a clean up, then check them right after that clean up...they'll be dull. I actually look forward to two things about leaf season, no sharpening and don't have to clean the deck. Nothing cleans the deck better then the leaves!!:clapping: