is she crazy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by minilawn, Oct 14, 2011.

1. minilawn

minilawn LawnSite Member
    from CO

Hi Luke,

The grass growing is starting to slow down. I’m thinking we should start mowing every other week. What do you think? Probably go ahead and mow today since it’s nice, but don’t bother next week and we’ll play it by ear after that.

Thanks for doing such a good job on the lawn.

Pat

Hey Patty,

I typically mow until October 15th and then begin cutting the grass shorter each week in preparation for winter until the turf is dormant. I have found this to be the best method of easing into the off season. I expect all cutting will be done within 2 weeks, and look forward to a healthy spring season. It has been great year for me which you have helped make possible and I appreciate that!

Regards,

Luke

Hi Luke,

First of all, I apologize for not having your check outside. I had to take the van to be serviced before work this morning, and plum forgot. I’ll send you a check for both last week and this. I think I have your address somewhere.

I would appreciate it if you would stop mowing for now. My granddaughters would be very angry with you for picking up all the leaves! There were hardly any this week, so thanks for the “gift”. My daughter and her family will be coming up in a couple of weeks to rake the leaves and “play” in them. We’ll have about 2 dozen bags of leaves. What would you charge to haul them off? The second “raking” will probably have just as many bags (those cottonwood trees along the ditch are huge!), unless you want to pick them up like you did this week.

I’ll email you when I’m ready for you to pick up the leaves and/or mow again.

Patty

-- By the way, she refers to a "gift" about me collecting leaves. I left her an invoice stating the "no extra charge" for collecting leaves while I did her service.

I mean, she asks my opinon and then shoots it down right away?? Was I out of line by trying to stick to my guns with a solid reason to continue service?

2. StihlMechanic

StihlMechanic LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure if I see the problem.

3. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

Do as she asks then charge her accordingly for leaaaf removal. It takes all kinds. Good luck.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. kubotafan

kubotafan LawnSite Member

I think she is just wanting the leaves for her grand children to play in. She doesn't want you taking their "toys". We think of the leaves as work, but the younger kids (not yet in their teens!) find the leaves to be "fun and play".

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Can you put a timeline on the conversations? She did ask you to stop mowing. Did you continue after that? I tend not to argue with a customer at the end of the season. Next March/April isn't far away and she will be bombarded with ads and flyers from the competition. There's no reason to give her an excuse to replace you.

6. must be me, I don't see a problem.

7. Golfpro21

Golfpro21 LawnSite Senior Member

I think ou should just do as the client asks.....but don't give her anmore "gifts" as far as the leaves are concerned

Good luck

8. LawnGuy35

LawnGuy35 LawnSite Member

I see nothing wrong with her requests. Most of the properties I mow can go 2-3 weeks without needing mowed in October-November. Plus, I know many people who like to rake leaves into big piles for their children or grandchildren to play in. Nothing wrong with that.

Remember, it's not about you ... SHE is the customer. It's not like she's asking you to cut back on mowing in May or June when growth is at its peak.

Do as she asks and keep her happy ... but if she starts making similar requests in the spring, drop her. Simple as that.

9. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

Im with the customer on this one. She was very nice when she asked the first time. Then you basically said "eff you, im cutting every week just because i want more money" to her. Then she again asked you nicely to stop mowing and even thanked you for doing such a nice job. There is absolutely no reason to mow a lawn weekly as it is heading into dormancy, other than pure selfish greed. Or i suppose just being ignorant.

10. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

That is a nice customer. I dont see the problem with her. You should also not publicize your clients private emails. The only problem i see here is the lack of professionalism of the OP. Sorry.