1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is she powerfull enough??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by T'S lawncare, Jan 23, 2007.

1. T'S lawncare

T'S lawncare LawnSite Member

hi all, new to the site and to the business altogeter. Basically I would like to cut lawns this summer for a little extra cash. I have all of the supplies needed.

I have a 48" Simplicity Derby pacer 13.5 hp walk behind. I want to get a sulky for it but not sure whether it'll work good. Any input?
  2. asjgabries

asjgabries LawnSite Member

depends how fat you are on how much it can hold. Walking is good a workout.
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Need to plan on walking.....most 36" units have at least 15hp.
  4. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

yeah 15hp v-twin if your going to use a sulky, your 13.5hp is a single cyl and will bog down. Unless you weigh 90lb I would skip the sulky and just walk.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

ahhh she might bog a little in tall grass but I used to ride a '95 model 52" Floating Toro (very heavy beast) powered by a 13hp Briggs and Stratton.
    This was an old, worn out 4-speed machine (the newer 5 speeds might bog more in 5th, but the less wear should help as well).
    Keep in mind the engine was new, while I run synthetic oil and premium fuel.

I found it only a little bit underpowered, but if you want to ride you will hardly notice.
    I'd step off going uphill (a good practice if you wish to conserve trannies / belts / splines, regardless of hp).
  6. Mr Priceless

Mr Priceless LawnSite Senior Member

IT also majorly depends on ur drive system. If it's belt drive, AND has a weak 13.5 HP motor powering thw WB, forget it, b/c you will only be taking more time to make sure your grass gets cut completely AND the transmission will give out sooner or later for the load added on to it with a sulky/velke
  7. Mr Priceless

Mr Priceless LawnSite Senior Member

...and i'm guessing that your drive system doesn't have hydrolics to drive the wheels...