Is Shoveling required?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Tony S, Jan 18, 2000.

1. Tony S

Tony S LawnSite Member

Hi Guys,<br>I just started snow plowing this year. I did no advertising except for sending a letter out to my regular mowing customers in Oct. offering this new service. I made it clear that this service would include plowing of the driveway / parking lot ONLY and not include snow removal from walkways or steps. I received a fairly good number of my reg. customers signing up for plowing. My question is: I want to increase my number of plowing accounts for next year. Will I have to include walkways and steps in my bids in order to get any substantial accounts or can I get away with just plowing?<p>Thanks in Advance,<br>Tony S.

2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

In my market you don't need to shovel residential sidewalks (thankfully) so we don't. Nobody does, 'cept for the city walks with a Bombadier.<p>Commercial: You'll eventually have to in order to get the good accounts. Make them sign up for salting though, too.<br>

3. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

As for shoveling commercial, all our accounts get it we include it in the bid. It is easier the shovel the snow into the lot and have us plow it away. Then to have to carry it to the edge of the lot.<p>For residental, some people will pay the extra cost, other won't.<p>It does make extra money, so why not do it?<p>Geoff

4. Lazer

Geoff,<p>Your charges for plowing come out to $55-$200+ per hour. You just can't come close to that shoveling. (Unless there's something I'm missing)<p>Plus, would you rather be sitting in your warm plow truck tapping switches or bundled up, out in the howling wind shoveling.<p>For certain accounts, you've gotta do it to get them, but I certainly wouldn't offer it.

5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

My snow removeal service includes:clearing in front of garage doors,steps to house,walk way to house,and mail box.In the past I had a customer with the heating oil filler pipe on the back side of the house,pathway-$25.00 extra in my pocket.Every one is happy.The only request I have gotten is not to use salt or chemicals on two properties.I had to do some explaining.<p>I have heard people say that if they have to shovel the walk and garage door that they might as well get a blower and do the drive.I have to agree with them.

6. Lazer

gene,<p>I suppose it's what your customers are after. If we were to charge $25.00 per time to shovel the front door walk, garage door & mailbox, that would average about $500.00 per year and that does sound like great money. We just don't have a market for that where we're at.