1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is Sod left on pallet 3 days dead

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Rick Sullivan, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Rick Sullivan

Rick Sullivan LawnSite Member

I have a small area (750sq ft) that I sodded last week. Because of delays in top soil prep, the sod (kentucky blue) sat for 3 days. it was watered, but sat in 1 day of 100 degree heat (mostly shade) Upon installtion the sod was yellowing some, but not terrible. It still is in that greenish brown state 5 days later. It has been watered 2 to 3 times daily 20 mins. The areas in the shade are doing better. Sun areas worse. the sod is set nicely and seated into the underlying topsoil (5"). the edges are still bright green where they saw sun on the pallet. I have read through some threads that suggest over watering, fungus, under water. Is there anyhting special to indicate care, or is this stuff just going to die. It looks like its trying to take, but I'd like to help it along if possible. Thanks
  2. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont know about Kentucky Blue, but I laid St Augustine that was in a similar condition. The sod eventually made it back. I would put some MILORGANITE and see how it responds, it helped me out to say the least. Good Luck. Oh I forgot water the heck out of it, longer interval of course.
  3. zemzabob

zemzabob LawnSite Senior Member

Water water water.
  4. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

There's a good chance that the sod in the middle of the pallet heated up so much that it killed the plants. Keep the sod moist but don't flood it. The soil on the sod and the underlying soil should be damp but not saturated all day long.
  5. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

All of the above- make sure a good starter fert is down too. The sooner it takes hold the better.