Is spring around the corner in the DC Metro area?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gilla Gorilla, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

Man does it feel like a nice spring morning outside rite now. It was about 49 degrees at 8:00am this morning and I have heard the Robins chirping for the last few mornings. Should I put away the snow removal equipment yet or just hang on for a couple more weeks.

This weather has got me itching to get out on the mowers and to do some installs again.

Anyone else in the country have high temps now when it should be cold and snowing?

2. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Justin, I've been thinking the same thing. I better finish all my preparations if spring is going to hit early. Thank God I'm well underway.

Every time I go to the NOAA website to find out what they expect the weather to do, they give me the business that there are equal chances of normal, above normal and below normal numbers for precipitation and temperature in this part of the mid-Atlantic...basically meaning they just have no idea. Makes for fun planning.

Try it and see for yourself. Big help, eh?

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/OUTLOOKS_index.html

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

When you see the Forsythia blooming then Spring is on the way. It will also be time to put your pre-em down. I wouldn't get too ecited just yet. I have a feeling we will be seeing some teens in the next 2 weeks along with some snow and ice.

4. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Richard, I think you're right, but I don't want to be late getting out the gate if Old Man Winter packs it in early. Quite a dilemma.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

6. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

we had about 4 or 5 days in a row in the mid to upper 50's! but we're supposed to get 5" of snow tomorrow.. oh well, just more snow money for the time being. payup payup :)

it's 52 as i type now.. :rolleyes:

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

February is usually the month DC sees any snow...so my older sister says and she's lived there 36 years now.

8. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

they just reduced it to 1" or less.... oh well.

9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Great weather, the guys are doing some rejuvunative pruning on some old over grown roses and Abelia. Short sleeve shirts are uniformof the day. Its great weather. But I agree, won't be here for long. I woul dbe nice to see an early spring. Give us a chance to get ahead before graduation.....

10. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

Well I like this weather as much as the next guy but It would be nice to get one or two 6-10 inch snow storms in before March comes along. If not oh well maybe next winter when I will have more plowing accounts.