is stihl made by ryobi?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by weapons of grass destruction, Sep 2, 2011.

1. weapons of grass destruction

weapons of grass destruction LawnSite Member

Talking with friend today.
    And he said that stihl is made by briggs & straton & ryobi.
    Is that true.
  2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Lol, no........
  3. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Sure, and John Deere tractors are made by MTD:rolleyes:

Your friend needs to stop drinking the internet koolaid. Neither one are true.
  4. Greyst1

Greyst1 LawnSite Senior Member

No, ef no.

Ryobi is own by some chinese company called TTI. TTI owns milwaukee, Dirt Devil, Hoover, blah blah blah

Briggs is Briggs, they own Ferris, Snapper Pro, Snapper and a bunch of other stuff.

Stihl is Stihl and i believe they own Zama Carbs as well. Stihl is a solid company all around just like Briggs. TTI well, we'll see. They are already killing many Milwaukee tools that used to be made in the USA.
  5. Greyst1

Greyst1 LawnSite Senior Member

Is Deere making their garden tractors? The ones sold at Home Cheapo and Blowes? I was told they were, just curious.
  6. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Yes, Deere actually makes ALL of their L&G tractors, even the ones sold at HD and Lowe's. The ones like those sold at HD and Lowe's are made in Greeneville TN. (The heavier duty L&G tractors are made in Horicon WI, not Iowa as stated in one of the links below). They are exactly the same as those sold at JD dealers as well, which is another rumor on the net- that those sold at bigbox stores are inferior. The internet rumor about them being made by MTD simply gets repeated so often, it'll probably never die.'s-and-the-home-depot
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I think your friend may have been trying to make conversation but that is not true,
    Stihl is a physical corporation located in Germany and named after its founder Andreas Stihl,
    the corporation itself is stock-based thou I'm not sure if it's private or public but it goes officially
    by the name of Stihl A.G. (which stands for Aktien-Gesselschaft, the german equivalent of our Inc.).
    Stihl is thus a German product, made in Germany by a German corporation.

Ryobi I believe is Japanese but I'm not sure, however they are most certainly not the same company, not at all.
  8. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Partly correct here. Stihl is a German based co, and originally all their products were made there, but that's no longer true. Stihl USA is based in Virgina Beach, Virginia where they make all sorts of outdoor power products right here in the US-
  9. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually Stihl, Exmark and Scag are all made by Walmart:laugh::laugh:
  10. tailboardtech

tailboardtech LawnSite Senior Member