Is Stihl Ultra oil GOOD

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1998tahoe, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

I've used Opti-2 (a blend) in the past with good results. I switched to Stihl Ultra to go with a full synthetic 2-stroke oil instead of a blend.

2. exmarkking

exmarkking LawnSite Bronze Member

So would you prefer the ultra over the opti?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Check the MSDS. It is not a full synthetic product. It contains petroleum distillates. So Does Amsoil, but with Amsoil it is in a small enough quantity it is not required to be listed on the MSDS. They used to list it on their label that it contained petroleum distillates and was never advertised as a full synthetic product. Stihl uses a high enough quantity it is required to be listed on MSDS. I don't know if Stihl has ever called theirs a full synthetic product.

Who told you it was full synthetic? Sounds like you are mixing up two stroke and four stroke oil technology/terminology.

4. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Valk is technically right. Sounds like you didn't do your homework before posting. It's right here in large print on Stihl's site. Look at the first line at the top-

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/oils--lubricants-and-fuels/oils-and-lubricants/oilhpultra/

5. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

And yet their msds say it contains petroleum distillates. Go figure.

6. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

All the different lubes and their ratings, and the way that companies go about achieving them these days makes keeping track of what's really what kind of hard to do sometimes.

7. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Amsoil Saber and Stihl Ultra are the only 2 "non-blends" I'm aware of. (If there are others, I'd like to know what they are.) Of these two, I find the Stihl Ultra to be less distinctively odoriferous & more unobtrusive when operating my 2-strokes.
    The Amsoil Saber is not bad smelling imo, but it is more distinctive. Reminds me of the pencils I burned as a kid. :laugh:

8. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

IMO, the Stihl smells stronger, though not by much.

It may have to do with the machines it gets burned in though. In my BR380 and the 320 and 600 I had, Both Saber and HP smelled distinctly different than they do in my strato-charged Husky.

9. exmarkking

exmarkking LawnSite Bronze Member

What's it smell like? I have the strato redmax
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

I recently bought a case of Redmax 2 stroke oil for $105.00 thru dealer. The case will make 120 gallons. So now,I am reading about Amsoil Sabre and I see at the 100:1 mix,5 quarts will make 120 gallons but at half the cost (5 qts. at retail price of $11.10)of the Redmax coming in at $55.50. :hammerhead:

Guess I will be switching to Amsoil when Redmax is used up.