Is subbing out work allowed?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by echeandia, Feb 22, 2007.

1. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Suppose I have a service agreement with a homeowner to maintain their lawn. I don't have a contractors license so I can't legally put a shovel in the ground. One day the homeowner call me and asks me to do a small landscaping job. They want me to plant some shrubs a tree or two and build a small dry stack wall. I tell them that I can't do the work because I am not licensed. They insist, because the like me so much, that I find and supervise another landscaper who can do the work legally. Here are my questions:

1) Can I sub out work that I am not legally allowed to do?
    2) What are my liabilities in this situation?

2. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

Are you sure you need a contractors license?

Yes you could sub it out but as long as you call dig-safe and keep the job small you should be fine.
  3. echeandia

Here in Virginia in order to put a shovel in the ground you need a contractors license. There are several types of contractors and landscape contractor is one of them. So, the answer to your question is yes you need a license.

So my question is can a non-contractor sub out to a contractor still stands.
  4. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 LawnSite Senior Member

make him sign a paper stating that he gave you permission to do the work on his proprity and get it noterized or how ever you spell that

(like when you get a car out of your name and in to some one elses)

that should work
  5. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

If you don't have a contractors license you can still sub out work to a licensed contractor to do the work. As long as the contractor has all the licenses and insurance he/she needs you will be fine you are just playing middle man. You can still make money even if your not doing the work, just get several bids from reputable contractors accept the one you want to do the work and charge a fee of 10% above the contractors fee. Let your customers know you will be there while the work is being done but remember when you sub out work the contractor is working for you not the customer.
  6. neighborstree

neighborstree LawnSite Member

same thing here in pa. contractors licenses are only 50 bucks tho, so go get one and go do the job
  7. echeandia

The license application requires validation of two years experience. This is something I don't have right now.
  8. neighborstree

neighborstree LawnSite Member

oh i duno. lie ? or ask a friend or buddy if you could do the job under his name, his license ? thats what i would do
  9. Pristine PM

Pristine PM LawnSite Member

sorry, dumb question, but how do you get two years, when you can't get the 2 years due to a lack of a license?