Is summer over yet?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by bcg, Aug 20, 2011.

1. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

This time of year, I really start to switch the marketing focus that way regardless.

PS - HOORAY! It's really RAINING!

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

You sure you remember how to do an install? :rolleyes:

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Vaguely. Already stubbed out of the house. 6-7 rotor zones, stub pipe to three areas for future drip lines, have mainline and wire available for future expansion, all wide open, no trees, landscaping will be done AFTER sprinklers (novel idea huh?). Pretty basic.

4. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

txgrassguy- Did you get in on that grass fire in Pflugerville?

5. Dripit good

Dripit good LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you prefer this?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Sure do. That way I'm not working around the metal edging and bending it, not worrying about getting dirt in the rock, get any drip pipe down before fabric and rock/mulch go down, I don't have to move rock/mulch to get my mainline out away from the house. I will flag all my stuff and let them work around it. I usually will bid in a little time and materials to cover repairing/replacing/moving a couple heads.

7. Dripit good

Dripit good LawnSite Bronze Member

I prefer to have all of the trees and plants installed prior. This way I can get all the head and valve placements right and the landscapers won't hit my sh!t. Even with a landscape plan things change, trees get moved here, other thing get added there and/or deleted.....it happens every time. It's more difficult to get everything right when nothing is in the ground. I find it easier to get heads and pipe custom around the plantings once they are in.

I'm more fortunate I suppose because we also do the landscaping. Once everything is in and before the edging, mulch, ground cover and flowers go in...this is prime time.

It's a battle when there is no continuity between the irrigation and landscape activity.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

No, that is a different task force. I was in on the fire just south of Marble Falls at the intersection of state hwy 71 and 281. 16 hours in various brush trucks the first evening through to the next morning then intermittently about another 10 hours across Saturday and Sunday. I was also in on the large grass fire in Round Mountain although I drove a tanker that day for seven hours - then in Bertram for TEEX training on vehicle extrication for two days. Busy month. Added it up yesterday, I am right at 71 hrs not counting vehicle maintenance.

9. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

That is crazy, be safe! I just saw a new RRFD bush truck pulling into Round Rock last week. It was a jacked up f450-550ish with super swamper tires. The thing looked like a beast, tax payer money at work I guess. I would have liked to see something like that go to a more rural FD.

10. TGG I don't know how you get any irrigation work done. I'm assuming th fire work is volunteer.