1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

is suspension and others?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wayne Landscaping, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Wayne Landscaping

Wayne Landscaping LawnSite Member

is there a reason why other mower manuf.'s havent put suspension on their z's or does ferris really have the advantage?
  2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Not too sure about that one except I do know I'm not a fan at all of my flex-forks on my SuperZ. The ride's OK but the quality of cut suffers.:confused:
  3. Frontstreetlawns

Frontstreetlawns LawnSite Member

ive never tried the ferris out no one sells it around here, is it a floating deck or a fixed? it seems to me that a suspension mower would make the deck wobble around affecting the cut
  4. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

Ive always wondered about a shock setup as well but Id ivest in a shock seat first. That seems to be the ticket.

What Id like to see is lighter weight Z's. God these things are heavy.
  5. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

I think it's a patent issue.

Sales are still good for non-suspension machines too so I wouldn't expect change anytime soon.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I was thinking along the same lines.
  7. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive never used a mower with suspension. I wouldnt like it either. Some of my yards are very tall St.Augestein. meaning 4" + above the concrete. When I do a turn my left front wheel hangs over the edge of the grass. Now if it were suspension it would allow the right shock to compress(because of weight transfer) letting the deck scalp the grass.. Correct? So it would d more harm than good for me.
    So I would prefer the solid frame construction.
  8. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

No, totally incorrect. We have an IS 3000. The deck is still a floating deck just like all other machines. The operators platform rides on the suspension to give the operator a smoother ride and helps the deck to follow the ground contours better giving a better cut. The deck is carried by the front suspension so when one of the front wheels rises up like over a rise it raises the deckas well and the same way when it goes into a dip. The machine doesn not cut lower on one side when you turn or get on a hill and the deck also doesn't bounce as much on rough ground and doesn't scalp and gouge as bad as non suspension mowers.
  9. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Every time the unit moves on the suspension, so does the deck which means a really nasty cut, especially on really rough ground. I saw it at a demo, AWFUL cut! The same goes for the flex forks. Also, there are a lot more parts to wear out and the suspension could turn into a major maintenance nightmare. I'm a rigid frame mid-deck person. It's all about the tires, seat and the way the seat is isolated.
  10. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

No major problems with the flex forks. Takes a little time to adjust to them as it does any new product. If you hit a big bump or dip you get a bounce that I'm not crazy about but on the average lawn it's smooth as silk. I doubt I'll ever take them off. No problems on hills and they actually seem to help mowing and crossing ditches. It's a big change from a solid machine and does take some adjusting on the operators part. Just like going from a steering wheel to a zero trun takes some adjusting but it's worth it in the long run. I'm sure flex forks are not for everyone.