Is tanaka not for me?

Discussion in 'Tanaka' started by WREBELMACHINE, Aug 13, 2007.

1. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

I do not know what is going on but I am having problems with tanaka trimmers and blowers. I had some 270pf that were gutless so the dealer being a stand up guy traded them out for 280pf! Much better power but I have had them for a week and they will not start if they have been sitting in the sun light for an hour or so. Today the clutch housing on one of the 280's melted. Now I also bought two 2510 blowers that take 20min to get to run when they sit in the sunlight. What is the deal!

2. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

The edger is the only good thing they ever made.

3. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

I have 3 2501 trimmers and a 260PF edger and 2 7800R blowers and have no issues and we use them hard every day I use a 60/1 mixture in the gas and they give me no problems

4. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

5. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Hi WREBELMACHINE I work for a Tanaka dealer. When you go to start the trimmers, are you priming the carb and choking them ? I really can see why you are having a hard time starting them from just sitting in the sun. As far as the housing melting, I've never seen that happen before, but what ever caused it, you would be covered under the warranty for one year for commerical use . What kind of mix oil are you using ?

6. WREBELMACHINE

I prime them up just like every commercial trimmer. I bought a case of tanaka perfect mix.

7. WREBELMACHINE

Well must be a serious problem with the product I have talked to three other cutters who are just pissed at the product. One guy got so mad at his trimmer that he bought 2 months ago he drove over it with his truck and claimed insurance on it and bought a shindaiwa! I might have to do something drastic myself.

8. WREBELMACHINE

Well clutch drum bearings have froze up on my other 280 tanaka today! Whats next?

9. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

Hi,
    We'd be happy to take a look at the unit(s) to see what is going on. Send me an email - markw@nikko-tanaka-usa.com.

-MW

10. WREBELMACHINE

I got my 280's fixed but was wondering if there are going to be any heavy duty bearing kits for the clutch drums in the future? The reason I ask is it seems like I have another 280 that the bearing is going out again!