1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is tank mixing tough?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GreenHor7, Oct 17, 2007.

1. GreenHor7

GreenHor7 LawnSite Member

Is tank mixing an art or is it easy to do. The guys at Lesco said that it is kind of an art. I am looking for some feedback. Do you actually mix each element seperate?
  2. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

How is it an art? It's math.
  3. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

That's like the kid at the drive thru window being an expert on fine cuisine.
  4. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

ha ha, that just made me spew beer:)
  5. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

lmao.. but really i think it's eaiser to mix it yourself.. lesco tells you that because their liquid products are priced out of this world!! you just need to think outside the box. on my granular apps, i don't pay any attention to the lable, unless it has some type of control product mixed with it, ie: pre-m. it's my program and i know how much N i want per K
  6. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

Is tank mixing an art or is it easy to do. The guys at Lesco said that it is kind of an art. I am looking for some feedback. Do you actually mix each element seperate?
    what does this mean? "do you actually mix each element seperate" ;) HUH??!!!
    how would it get on the target plant if you didnt mix it first?
    Im missing the question.

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

If the chemicals are priced out of this world you must not spend very much money or have very many customers, cause once you figuire out the cost against the junkie chinese generic products it's cheaper and works better.
    for instance if you only buy a little bit of product your'e cost will be alot higher,just based on your spending level. it's like anywhere else nobody gets the same price at any chemical company, it's based on volume.

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

I don't think is an art just knowing what not to do or what works.Some chemicals don't mix well together read directions and do the right math. It's not hard to do
    hope this helps Charles Cue
    PS if my other post shows up it got lost
  9. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

if this is directed towards my post, lesco is higher then local conpanies in my area. i can get the same if not better/different chemistries then lesco thru them. lesco products do cost more, and weather there made here or in china (i dont know if that is even relitive for this) lesco cost more. and if something is made in china, does it make that product bad? or just the same old american attiude that: if its not 'made in the usa' its not good? i buy alot from simplot/anderson/shaws. and there products perform fine for me and cost me less then lesco, or should i say 'john deere landscape'. jmo
  10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Do you mean mixing fertilizer and weed killer? Its an art you can learn in 5 minutes. Add urea--about one bag per 80 gallons water. Add potash as muriate or sulfate--about a quarter as much. Add weed killer--about 32 ounces per hundred gallons. Agitate or stir--paddle agitation is nice--canoe paddle is good--string trimmer (that is crazy!)

Hit the road.

And by the way learn how to calibrate your equipment. You are not professional until you can calibrate. And get it right.