Is that price weekly or monthly?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawn_pro, Apr 19, 2006.

1. lawn_pro

lawn_pro LawnSite Senior Member

Does anybody ever show up to give an estimate and have a customer ask this? It is one of the most annoying questions I get....I always want to respond, "what the hell do you think?"
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

New way is "MONTHLY"....everybody wants a fixed amount to pay, and most don't mind it being year round.
  3. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

No the kicker iwhen they ask "does that $30.00 include trimming the hedges"

That is hilaroius to me.
  4. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I bid a lawn yesterday for $40. The guy wasn't home so I left it on the door. On my proposals it has a spot for me to circle weekly or monthly. I circled weekly. He leaves a message for me to call him to discuss service. I'm thinking cool I got the bid. This fool answers and ask me if $40 is per week. I say yes sir and he says Oh that's more then I can afford. I'm thinking why did this guy waste my time calling to ask an obvious question, but then I realized he was baiting me to lower my price. Sorry Mr. better luck next time :)
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh I always get the ones who HAVE to tell me that 'I will call you tomorrow' and then like I already know it, no call all the next day from them... But then, surprise surprise, 2 weeks later they call !!! Just like you, I get kinda excited thinking cool I got it, but I have learned in time this is just a tactic... Funny, it's almost as if they think I would sit around the phone all this time just waiting for them to call, my ONE and ONLY customer (sorry but I just had to).
    It is for this reason when they play the 2-week waiting game, it goes up another 5 dollars... Especially when they told me they'd call me the next day, but also when they inform me that 'oh well we're getting other prices' before or after I mention mine.

I'd still like to know why they have to tell me that 'I will call you tomorrow...' (some tell me 2 or 3 times lol)
    If they just waited the 2 weeks without the bs it would not only serve the same purpose but it would likely fail to alert me as much.
    Guess it's a good thing, I can always use the extra alerts.
  6. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

I had a new one do that to me this month. I gave her the bid and she said she would call me within the week. I got the call Monday after 2.5 weeks of growth. The first cut was double what I told her and she was stunned and wondered why.:hammerhead:
  7. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Well for me it all depends on weather, pine cones, and just general repore from customer. However, most the time in closing the bid I let them know that next week due to this or that it's going to be X amount. This either gets a answer within 24 hrs or a get the fu#$ off my yard.