1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is the 24hp Honda powerful enough for the 60"/66" Super Zs?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tb8100, May 14, 2008.

1. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

I see on Hustler's site that they pair this engine up to the 60" and 66" decks on the Super Z. Why these large decks and not the 54"? Is it really powerful enough to drive that deck and the dual 21cc pumps?? :dizzy:
  2. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

A buddy of mine had a 72inch super z with the 25 kawi when they first came out---he thought it was fine on power. I guess anything would work if you keep to flat ground.
  3. PEVO

PEVO LawnSite Member

Your pushing it w/a 60" & even more doubtful on the 66" I have a 28efi on my 60" & i wish i could have a few more ponies yet! Better to have it & not need it...than need it & NOT have it! IMO
  4. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

if the grass is tall, 10 days growth, my 27 horse super z bogs down just a bit. on slopes it bogs down no matter how high the grass is.
  5. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

Ditto on that.

Also watch those power rating stickers, the GX670 Honda is 20.8hp I think. Check their website just to make sure. Otherwise good engine.

I'd definitively go for more power, a ZTR is for making money and to do that it has to work no matter what you throw at it. Mowing tall wet grass with a small engine needs full throttle which sounds like an airplane and disturbs the neighbors.
  6. cybervision

cybervision LawnSite Senior Member

Is this just a general question or are you thinking of buying one?
    Unless you found one somewhere and were getting a fantastic deal don't even consider a 24Hp on a Super?
  7. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

It's a general question. The local Hustler dealer seems to be moving a few of these 24hp Honda units and it boggles my mind, especially with all the posts on here with folks talking about how they really need like 26+hp to run a 60" deck.
  8. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I remember from posts in the past about the 24hp Honda and it seemed like most guys with this engine were not very happy. Supposedly a 24hp Honda didn't quite perform like a comparable hp model of a different brand.
  9. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member