1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

is the center spindle supose to have play?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by grass disaster, May 17, 2008.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i have a everride warrior and the center pulley moves around at half throttle when the belt is flopping around. i can feel play in it. the 2 side ones are solid. is there something wrong or is it made like this to take out some of the belt vibrations? it seems to run smooth when at full throttle.

the play/slop transfers through to the blade. i can seem to move it slightly.
  2. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

bearings going bad..will need replaced in time.
  3. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

Bearings are going out. You should replace them now rather than later. If you wait they will eventually wear into your spindle and you'll have to replace the whole thing. Bearings are cheap but the whole spindle shaft isn't. I've done quite a few on my toros over the years.
  4. mowingmachine

mowingmachine LawnSite Senior Member

Yep the bearings are bad. Replace them right away before you do any major damage to your spindle.
  5. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

Yah, listen to these guys. Get it fixed before things get worse (and more expensive).

I have an Everride Warrior. Over 1000 hours - no trouble with spindles at all.
  6. grass disaster

how do i take it apart?

do i have to take that nut off the top? are they left hand threads?
  7. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

The nut should be standard threading. The easiest way is just take the nut off, and remove the pully. The shaft should just fall to the floor. Then there shoould be 3-4 bolts holding the spindle housing onto the deck. Remove these and the spindle should come apart in two sections, Upper and lower.

Check the spindle housing for any wear. It should be smooth and have no grooves from the wobbling bearings.

Also check the spindle shaft for excessive wear, should again be smooth.

Remove the bearings, use High temp red grease, and replace.

Good luck
  8. grass disaster

yup it's shot.

i need top bearings a seal a new shaft and a new pully. i'll probably get the bottom bearing and seal too.

anyone want to guess the cost?
  9. grass disaster

i'm going to guess $120 to fix
  10. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Buy a new compleat spindle assembley. It might be cheaper than all the bad parts.