1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is the chamber of commerence effective in getting new business???

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by greeninga, Dec 6, 2005.

1. greeninga

greeninga LawnSite Member
    from GA

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck with joining it. thanks
  2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Well let me anwser that for you this way.

When was the last time you called your local COC for a reference on a company BEFORE you did business with them? I'll venture a guess......never?

COC and BBB are really only "feel good" assocs if you just want to spend that money for very little if any true return.
  3. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

What I have found with Chamber of Commerce is the way you get business from them is by networking with other members. In this way you may be able to pick up residential as well as opportunities to bid on commercial jobs.

Like MMLawn most people do not contact these organizations to find there lawn company. You would just have to determine whether it is worth your time and mony, or whether your time/money is best spent else where. I do know a realtor that is in the COC and has gained quite a bit of biz through networking. However, he did have to spend some time at the luncheons etc. networking with other members.
  4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

are you big into networking and being one of those guys at parties that has to mingle and pump some hands with the fake "your my best friend" smile. Do you want to get business from cronies that should their opinion of you change, so will your business fortunes.

If yes to the above, join the butt polishing brigade. I mean chamber of Commerce. If not, spend that money and time on advertising.
  5. its like any other organization, you get out of it what you put into it.
  6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

NO but you can get a big discount on your business ins. if your a member
  7. dsmrolla06

dsmrolla06 LawnSite Senior Member

In my chamber of commerce, you can put an insert into their monthly newletter for 175. It goes out to about 1600 business in my area. Its got my name to people including a mall complex which i will be bidding on that has 2-3 acres of grass. The chamber in my area is pretty close knit, and members generally like to help other members out. Im also the only lawn maintenance company in it. I just joined not too long ago and have only been to a business expo, but i feel it helped to get my name out a little. besides it was only like 230 for the year which isnt too bad if you work it.