1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is the customer always right?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by lawnranger44, Jun 3, 2004.

Is the customer always right?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
  2. No

25 vote(s)
  1. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

I say nay! If the customer wants a lawn cut every two weeks and the lawn grows at an enormous rate, the customer is WRONG and I won't do it! What do you all say, I think this old phrase is too idealistic...
  2. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

If the customer was always right then I would be working for free. Most of the time the customer isnt even close.
  3. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

Is there ANYONE who thinks the customer is always right?
  4. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I had a customer who was right....once...oh, wait, i'm thinking of something else.
    Nope, customer typically doesnt have a clue of reality
  5. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't been "in it" too long but I believe the customer is right.

After mowing a lawn at every two weeks, they will see that they don't like the clumps, or the height (in this situation).

They can either pay me to double mow, rake or raise the deck. It's left up to them, their money.

I will advise at times but I'm working for them so, I think they are right, wether I think they are or not.
  6. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

Customer is almost never right. If you want to make it tell them what is right and thats all that you do. People dont like hearing they are wrong, but most would rather hear that than have a fried lawn.
  7. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Usually what it comes down to is a difference in what I am willing to do, and what the customer wants. I will try to accomodate the customer, but I am only willing to go so far in doing that. There is a line you have to stand firm at, and learn to not cross it.
  8. EZTarget

EZTarget LawnSite Senior Member

Excellent point. Of course in your eyes the customer is never right but is that really the point?

MTD puts it perfectly. Are they willing to pay for it? And are you willing to do it for what they want to pay. I see many arguments here on grass hieght. It appears that there are many opinions so what is to say that what the customer is wrong? Money makes it right. Had one last night that wanted all of her ground cover cut down to about 3"! It was about 6". She wanted it kept that way. She changed her mind when I gave her the price.
  9. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I couldn't agree more. It's a battle of Do I really want to do it? vs How much are they willing to pay?

Some issues, though, aren't decided by $$. I've turned down work I had no interest whatsoever in doing, no matter what I was offered.
  10. burnandreturn

burnandreturn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Germany

I would say the customer is not always right, but they are always the customer. If they want me to do something I believe to be damaging to the lawn or landscaping, I will discuss it with them in a very polite manner and if it's something I think will reflect badly on my work, I decline to do the work. Word of mouth is our biggest business grower. I don't do anything that looks bad to someone driving past. I've also had people call me back after I've refused to do what they asked. They did more research or had someone else do what they wanted and discovered I had given them good council.