is the customer always right?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jul 8, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

would you argue with a client about money? are they always right? ok, let's say it's a steady client of 2, 3 yrs. she pays you cash each week. you know she wasn't home last week, and you didn't get paid. this week, she hands you one weeks worth. you say she didn't pay last week, she insists she did. she's old, why argue? would you blow it off, it's only $25 bucks. let her think she's right? why upset her?

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

for $25, I wouldn't argue over it. But that is just me. I know everybody will say, yeah but $25 here and $25 there adds up, but losing a customer over $25 is not worth it.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

This is exactly why I don't take cash...I ONLY do business on a monthly invoicing basis. Checks are evidence...cash disappears, is forgotten, and lost many times.

4. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

if she's old, and doesn't comprehend what you're saying, its different then someone just trying to get over you. So, a person trying to get over on you, no they are not right. an old woman, who's been losing it over the years, but has been a valued customer, make $25 up elsewhere. 2 totally different scenarios...

though, if she's really nasty about it, they're not right no matter what age and coherency they are.

5. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Ditto rodfather.

Cash is great, but you've got no paper trail if there is a problem.

I might let a long time, good customer go on that. But be careful doing that.

6. Tvov

from CT

fga, your signature is awesome.

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

well, i'm glad you guys feel this way. what happened today was, this lady who always pays cash, for each visit, wasn't home last week. i cut again today, i was in a hurry, i knocked, waited a minute or so, she didn't cum out. so i jumped in the truck, as i was pulling away, the door opened. i told amigo to go get the money, make sure there is $50 there. he comes back, with a $100 bill. he hands it to me, and shrugs his shoulders. i'm like, wtf. i get out, go over and tell her she only missed one week. she says no, she's absolutely certain she missed the past 3 weeks. so i think to myself, "what would the guys on lawnsite do? well, they would say the customer is always right, and don't argue." so, being the gentleman that i am, i said thank you mam, and got in my truck and away i went.

8. dad3*3

dad3*3 LawnSite Member

Wow! My 14 year old daughter recently overcharged a customer $1.00 in error at one of our stores. She realized it and asked me what to do. I told her to go make it right and she went outside to give the customer his dollar back. He thanked her for her honesty and turned back to the window and put the dollar in her tip jar, thanked her again for her integrity and left happy. He will be back.

Wasn't the dollar amount, it's all about integrity and honesty. $1.00 or $50.00 doesn't change or excuse the lack of integrity and if you aren't honest don't expect your customers to be honest or loyal to you.

9. Tvov

from CT

Well.... You did go back and she insisted she owed you the money. Possibly, you could "forget" to charge her for a couple mowings.

Is there a daytime soap opera being made based on your life??:)

10. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

When questions like this come up in my life, I always ask myself, "how would I want to be treated if this happened to me?" And then the answer is simple.