1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is the dealer more important than the brand?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eruuska, Oct 23, 2004.

1. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Hey everyone,

As a guy who's not quite in the business yet, I've been reading this site daily (actually more than that, but who's counting?). I've been paying attention to brand names, methods, how to deal with customers, how to get customers to begin with, etc.

This thread caught my eye, since I'm trying to narrow down what brand of equipment to buy when the time comes. I was surprised that several brands were represented fairly equally: Exmark, Gravely, Dixie Chopper, John Deere and a few others. I was surprised that there was no single brand that stood out conspicuously above the others.

Would it be fair to say that most of the popular commercial brands are basically equal in their quality? Or if you pick one brand that you're pretty much assured of a good quality machine?

So then, by extension, is the quality of the dealer actually more of a determining factor in determining the mower you purchase?

Maybe this is old news to you guys, but it came as an epiphany to me. I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this one.

Thanks guys!

2. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

basicly the brands are the same! hard to build junk and remain successful in this day of informed consumers!

so the most important thing is to keep working,,,,,support in local terms is important in order to keep working 365!
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

IMO, the dealer becomes more and more important as the price of any piece of equipment goes up. If I buy a $300 trimmer, is the local dealer important? Not really. 5 - 10 thousand dollar mower? You betcha...
    CamLand likes this.
  4. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Dealer is very important for me. Out of the 3 major dealers close to my work area I will only deal with one. They will drop what there doing to get me back on the road if I have a problem. When I need a new machine I by from them reguardless of there price. The only negative thing about it is that they sell 3 brands of ztrs...Toro, DC and gravely. Therefore I always have to buy one of those brands and quit honestly Im not incredibly fond of any of them. :dizzy:

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I would go with the dealer over the equipment. They all carry several brands, so you should be able to get something good. Also, some brands I just don't see much around me, such as Ferris. So you may not be able to get the perfect machine near you, necessarily.
  6. Ability

Ability LawnSite Member

The Dealer

I had three dealers in my area selling three different brands. All the brands were very comparable. But the dealer I chose was far ahead on service and helping with the "Little Things".

I hate dealers that want to sell you stuff and then forget about you.

Also, the dealer I chose used to be in the business. The others knew about it and dabbled a little but not full time.
  7. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds pretty unanimous.

So, any tips on finding a good dealer when you know nothing about them to begin with? What do you look for when you walk in the door for the first time?

You guys are great!

8. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

this kind of dealer?
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The best way is talk to other lawn business people in area. Go look at shop and talk to repair guys. I talk to repair guys every time I go buy something and get their take on what works and what breaks.
  10. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

Talk, and take note, of what the other LCO are using. There are 2 dealers in my town, but they don't sell what we all use :angry: Is a shame, as I will only use a certain brand, as most in my area do, and the dealer is 2 hours away. But he dose stock, and service us like no other,( meets us half way with a loaner ) so it kinda even's out. Talk to the dealers, see what they tell you, and see if they tell/sell you there service, more than there brands. See if they have loaner's, and will let you demo stuff. A good dealer is easy to find, but a Great dealer, well, Not to common.