1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is the Duramax 7.8 215hp enough juice for a GMC 6500?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by syzer, Jun 7, 2009.

1. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

I need a new truck like yesterday, and I finally found what I am looking for. Problem is the truck has a 215 hp duramax. I dont have or know anyone who has experience with the duramax.

It would seem to me that 215 hp on a 26k gvw truck would be a bit underpowered if I had a full load and a skidder in tow?

Can anyone with experience with this engine let me know what your experiences are?

Thanks ahead!
  2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the torque. I used to drive a Mack w only 300 hp but it had 1000 torque. Torque and gearing will be doing all of your work, not horsepower.
  3. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

Torque is 560
  4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't consider a light duty medium duty truck with a 7.8 engine underpowered. For one its probably rated low because it has light axles.

A truck with a 26,000lb gvw is useless when it comes to trying to haul a decent load.

The 215hp 7.8 engine has 560 ft lbs at 1400 rpm which is pretty measly when you look at the International 466 has more power.
  5. Looking Good Lawn Service

Looking Good Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

It should be fine, you dont need alot of power in a cdl beater,...most of ryders trucks that are under cdl are 195hp,lol...get a 250hp and you will have more than enough pep for that truck. they put that same hp in most 33 gvw's anyways.
  6. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Hell the same Duramax in a 3/4 or 1 ton truck has more HP/torque, the Duramax in the 6500's 215hp rating is the OEM ECU/ECM tune/flash, to extend the life of the Duramax in this application, you can turn the wick buy slapping a programmer on the Duramax, but it will shorten the life of the engine. It will get the job done, but their are higher torque diesel engine options in a 6500, that of course costs more MONEY

7. Gravel Rat

The 7.8 does have ratings to 260hp or something like that and 860 ftlbs but I imagine that is emergency vehical rating.
  8. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

The 7.8 duramax in the 6500's is an inline six (to the best of my knowledge). Much better than the 6.6
  9. Gravel Rat

The 7.8 Duramax is a full Isuzu engine it has nothing to really do with GM.
  10. FYS777

FYS777 LawnSite Silver Member

OOOOO skip the duro, g0 CUMMINS...........:weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter: