Is the EPA frustrating any of you guys?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tb8100, Jan 31, 2008.

1. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

I mean, they're the reason all the handheld companies are in a frenzy trying to meet regulations. They're the reason all new vehicles will have to get 35mpg by 2020. They're also to blame for those crappy ventless gas cans! Is this all an attempt to "curb global warming"? I haven't been paying too much attention until recently... :hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

2. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

personaly i don't see a problem with 35 mpg cars
    or compliant 2cycle engines

i need some steadier snowplow money or year yound landscaping

cool it down or heat it up..... i'll plow more snow or plant more trees

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I am fond of saying those who fail to become educated choose to be regulated, and this is what happens when regulation comes around. With regulations we no longer have a choice, we are told what to do like it or not, and why I much prefer to be educated.

But at the same rate if EPA had been doing their job all along maybe we wouldn't be scrambling to play catch up, so either we educate ourselves, we curb complaining about EPA regulations, or we curb complaining about the price of fuel.

My complaint is actually neither, what I find disturbing is that my 95 Dodge gets WORSE fuel economy than my 86 dodge did, something is very wrong when a fuel injected engine can't even match the FE of a carbureted model. Even more disturbing is how car manufacturers are continuing on their hellbent trend to make bigger and bigger land-only Boats and pavement-only Offroad vehicles, and it was funny for a time but it really is to the point I find it down right disturbing.

So I'm glad someone at the EPA evidently got a wild hair up their butt, this shows initiative and these early results are, if a bit hit and miss, at the very least encouraging.

4. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

"Even more disturbing is how car manufacturers are continuing on their hellbent trend to make bigger and bigger land-only Boats and pavement-only Offroad vehicles."

that being said there is a few threads on this site devoted to the horsepower required to run a mower

i ran a 44" with 11 horse for more then a few years now thats funny to most

there are a few fellas on this site that have more horsepower in the trailer then i have in my personal truck...

just my .02

Nate

5. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Very well said.

True, but the problem is, their job in some regards limits our freedoms, which scares me. Tighter emissions regulation leads to reengineering of product which leads to higher fuel and product cost. The EPA is the reason companies like Echo, Redmax, and Tanaka will pull ahead of the other 2 stroke handheld manufacturers (Stihl, Shindaiwa, and others) or get bought out. Oh wait, Redmax already got bought out by Husqvarna, and the brand name could disappear altogether. If we get a liberal in office this time around, things could get worse. (I would say Democrat, but we could get John McCain, which is almost the same thing).

I agree, fuel economy in trucks and SUVs is less than acceptable, but do we really have a choice? The environmentalists that demand our vehicles get better fuel economy are the very ones that prevent us from drilling on our own soil. It's a catch 22. Is 12 years enough time to make hydrogen a safe and viable alternative? The concept is certainly more viable than ethanol, which is grossly inefficient and is also driving food prices up due to the opportunity cost farmers pay by growing corn instead of other American staples. The question is, can we make it affordable for every American in that time frame? I'm not so sure about that. :dizzy:

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh well yeah, there is always some load of crap that just HAS to come with it :laugh:

All those derricks sitting idle over all them midwest states, it's just outrageous.
    Some kind of plan that supposedly if oil ever runs out then that's our last reserve, but by then it won't hardly quench our thirst either, even today there's not enough there to make a serious dent... Those reserves would last us a week, if we had to rely solely on that to power the nation maybe a month at the most... But I find all of this odd too because there's a LOT of these idle pumps, you can drive a thousand miles and see them all along side the road and in the fields, almost eerie how they just sit there doing nothing.

Looking at it from that end it's beyond frustrating, I also feel that no matter how much I educate myself they still regulate my butt, that I hate too... But the steps are necessary, a lot of it is already beyond the point of no return so the sooner everything gets going in the right direction, the better.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Let me add that as citizens, we are not being regulated by the Feds over this issue. The Feds are regulating the vehicle and equipment manufacturers which have no bill of rights. While it may true that there are Fed laws concerning citizens and EPA rules it is extremely rare that an individual citizen is charged by the Justice Department for breaking those laws.

8. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I would be very happy if my pickup got 20MPG, I get only about 12 now. I can't wait, it will save me loads of cash. I have no need for a 300HP gas V8, which is the smallest motor you can get in my truck! I small diesel would do the trick. I like my new 4 stroke/4-mix blower, it kicks butt on my old BR420 2 stroke. If it takes government interference to make the manufacturers get going with better products, I say go for it.

But I hate those gas cans! There must be a better way.

9. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

Well see that's the thing....You are going to pay for all of this. And as already stated you won't have a choice in the matter. It is also these regulators that require a sensor for the tire pressure. If it gets a little low the sensor alerts you. Cool feature, but it is required. So you have to pay more.
    See this may sound good on paper or in an advertisement, but so does Universal health care and a lot of other government funded programs. But the bottom line is you have to pay for all of this. Instead of being responsible for our own well being, we will be paying for everyone's well being. :nono:

Originally Posted by topsites
    I am fond of saying those who fail to become educated choose to be regulated, and this is what happens when regulation comes around. With regulations we no longer have a choice, we are told what to do like it or not, and why I much prefer to be educated.

Yes! Someone gets it!

10. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

Glad they shot down the law they were working on where you couldnt commercially cut grass before 1 pm that would have been a killer.I think I would have just quit.