Is the ever increasing cost of gas hurting bus

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by B_gerrits, May 6, 2008.

1. B_gerrits

B_gerrits LawnSite Senior Member

I was just wondering if you guys are seeing more people cutting back on services due to the gas prices and inflation.

2. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

none.........yet:hammerhead:

3. shortgrass01

shortgrass01 LawnSite Member
    from SC

I read some people on here saying Right On with High Gas Prices.... are Lying to you... I am a small outfit, but I know many folks in this business and everyone is bitting there tongue for now because the trickle down hasn't come down hard yet.... and the High Gas is cutting in to the fishing fund dont let them pull your leg. The folks it hurts the most is the new guy with high end equipment w/ a nice payment and Gas Bill.
    Bottom line it going to get higher $150 Oil buy August. Thats $4.10 gas $5.50 Diesel. They are claimming 200 bucks a barrle for Oil. Better save up on everything!
    Every thing fixing to change - Something will have to give tho, because we - USA can weather the storm but like LCO's the small guy with much responsibility at home; Small countries dependand on food and low life abstaining commodities will be hurt the worst; they depend on their neighbors networking to help develop there country.

In short- Hubby or Jr. even bobby down the street will be mowing the lawn you use to cut for retired folks while they try to cut corners. The rich will hang on to there service because of the investment in there lawns. These folks make $100k annually. They try to justifying it by the amount of time it would take them to do there lawn vs hiring some to do it. So, they justify it by seeing it still cheaper to have lawncare vs rich -taking there time to do it.

I personally seen the effects in my call ins. Folks asking question about, HOW TO DO vs Come CUT MY LAWN!

However them big boys with adjustable loans they made on the pricey truck and trailers havent stepped up yet...
    0 btw 80% of the big boys.... Has someone else sharing the cookie Jar!
    meaning that... some investor with much voice in there business. Thats gotta sux to a point.

4. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually, suprisingly, none. No one seems to really pay any attention to the fact that my prices have gone up - gas is $3.50 a gallon etc.
    I think a lot people are ignoring the fact that something is going to change eventually.

5. JFF

JFF LawnSite Member

I haven't lost any customers, but it is obviously affecting my bottom line. And I am bidding higher on everthing.

Delivery charges for landscape materials have gone through the roof here.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It ain't helping.

7. badazzelanore

badazzelanore LawnSite Member

I would imagine that the gas prices would make people more interested in paying some one else to do the job for them.

My reasoning is that they would have to drive to the store (wasting gas and time) to buy gas for the mower (wasting more gas) and then mowing (wasting time) just for a mediocre yard. the time and money they wasted getting the fuel and actually mowing would be better spent watching the game or fishing. So for the few extra dollars he has to spend after all is said and done would be worth it for a quality cut and time to relax. I believe that the gas prices could be a great selling point.

What do you think?

8. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

My phone is busy. Getting more and larger accounts than last year. I just focus on the basic principles. Do good work, network, and thank customers for referrals.

9. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Seems to be the opposite...I'm getting more calls, and people are paying higher rates without even blinking. I don't get it to be honest. But, I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth. Glad I only accept credit cards, so Visa and Mastercard can hunt these people down for the money.