Is the Ferris1000 better than Exmark?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jkr1, Feb 25, 2003.

1. jkr1

jkr1 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Anybody used both the Ferris 1000(with or without suspension) and Exmark Lazer Z HP 48"? both Have 48" deck, 21HP Kawasaki. Ferris is 2 mph faster. Not sure about cut-quality or reliability of the Ferris. Looking for opinions. Both are exact same price to me...
  2. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I just bought a 2003 ferris 1000 IS Z and i love the cut from last year when i demoed it. I felt the smother ride than other mowers and the larger motor 23 hp for 52". Scag for example has a 19 hp for a 52" Plus the traction i found with ferris was much greater due to the suspension (climbing hills)
  3. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

The otherday someone posted on here to stay away from the 1000, dont exactly remember why but if you do a search I'm sure he explains it.
  4. I am a ferris person but not a fan of the 1000 yes it is fast .cut-quality or reliability isnt a issue with the 1000 its the traction and speed of the mower.Way to light.It has a faster take off than my chopper.You wont mow hills with the 1000 even with the suspension.Very loose controls.Now the ferris 3000is is a whole different ball game.Great controls,smooth ride,and can climb hills with little effort.Exmark will have a great cut and smoother controls.Both these companies are top class.But if you consider the 1000 test drive the 3000 and you will see what I am talking about
  5. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

Personally, ive never owned a ferris, although an old buddy would swear by them even though they were CONSTANTLY breaking down. Belts breaking seemed to be one of the more frequent problems, even though other problems arose often.

Myself, i will swear by eXmark. They are great mowers. I would and i have used other mowers, but ferris has never been high on my list.