Is the GC crazy?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by siyaltrduc, Dec 17, 2006.

1. siyaltrduc

siyaltrduc LawnSite Member
    from Raleigh

So I posted a thread to get a better idea on how much a retaining wall should be. I quoted the job for 38,750. The GC thought I was crazy because the price was to high and he said that he could get it done for around 16,000. So what do you guys think. This wall is 880' linear feet long at 4' high. It is built on clay soil, so he needs proper footing, drainage, excavation for footing, geogrid, and a lot of gravel. The GC is supplying all construction materials, block, gravel, grid, pipe, excavation bobcat. The block is the Keystone Compac unit. In the first post a lot of people thought I was already to low. Personaly I don't think he is going to get the wall built for any cheaper especially if he wants it done right. This is I hear a 3 million dollar log home and he expects to have a total length of 1000 linear feet for 17-18,000 dollars. Is it me or is the GC smokn the good stuff? Should I come down on my price somemore or just give up on this project? What do you think?

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

That 38,750 is for labor alone?

3. nac

nac LawnSite Member

Sure it could be done for that that is around the 5.00 per block for labor only. I would not do it but I khow a lot of guys who would bring in an 120 size excavator and 4 laborers and have it done in less than 10 working days and make them selves a couple thousand dollars and be happy. Where i would not go near that job for under 10.00 a block

4. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

My labor cost would be close to $50,000. That much Keystone would cost about $26,000. Just walk away.

5. Sunscaper

Sunscaper LawnSite Senior Member

If it's a load bearing wall don't walk......run away! Does he have stamped approved prints to build to spec? If so get some amigos and make some $. If not liability will trickle to you and you're done. It seems he's providing too much material and equipment. Enough that the one he wants to do it would not be a legal citizen if you know what I mean....Wink, Wink. Some GC's tend to play a sick game....The game is such. Sub's are dumb and cannot calculate materials..so i'll buy the materials, rent the equipment, and nickel and dime them to make the most profit and stick them with any residual problems due to my poor materials and unwillingness to pay a FAIR market price for the installation. I met a few like this here in FL hence my not doing one retaining wall in my year here. Best of luck to you!

6. Sunscaper

Sunscaper LawnSite Senior Member

BTW the further south you go the more hardscape becomes a dirty word. God Bless.

7. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Just curious how you got a figure of $50,000 labor cost?
    Assuming it takes 4 guys 2 weeks ...thats $6250 per week per guy.

If it takes 4 weeks its still $3125

8. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

kootoomootoo:
    Sorry. I rechecked my math, it would be closer to $35000 for labor. Our hourly labor rate for a hardscape crew is $120 for a foreman and laborer. Needless to say we don't do very many block walls. The original price of $16000 that was mentioned is still too cheap for a wall that size even for a company that has more reasonable labor costs.