Is the grass growing where you are?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, May 8, 2004.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I haven't seen any threads about how quickly the grass is growing... Maybe it's just my lawns?

This is by far the fastest I have ever seen the grass grow from week to week. I'm cutting just about all my lawns higher than I have ever cut before.. at four an a quarter inches high. When I show up to each account it looks like I haven't been there in two weeks. To make matters worse... the grass is seeding. :dizzy:

I'm ready for some warm temps and a dry spell!

2. southarkansascutter

southarkansascutter LawnSite Member

i'm hoping for rain.... it has been kinda dry here... and dusty... don't have all nice yards....take what you can get around here....supposed to rain tuesday.....

3. sharpcutter

sharpcutter LawnSite Member

out of control on those lawns that were fertilized heavy. My own lawn could be cut every three days if I had the time.

4. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

They are growing well in IN as well.....keeping me busy!

5. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

I noticed that the lawns I put fert. down are growing like crazy. I mow weekly and I wish I could get my mowers on the fertilized ones every 5 days. But they are growing quit quick.

6. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

no Tom you are right. Just this week I was talking to a guy has a big mowing operation. He said in 10 years, he has never seen such growth. I'm cutting some at 4 days, most other at 5 days. Waiting for 7 days is not an option. Problem this creates is that all we have time to do is cut the damn grass and the landscape work is getting further behind. Anyone else having trouble getting the landscape/fower work done? Making me nuts

I did notice one thing yesterday on a number of properties...the turf seems to be less green...maybe the grass plants are exhausted and are slowing down...or maybe it was just wishful thinking on my part

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It's growing like crazy here too!

Oh, and that "grass" that's seeding. Are you sure it's not Poa Annua? Some people find it desireable but for our area it is considered a weed by most.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/plantanswers/turf/publications/weed16.html

8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Where I'm at in MN, we have only had I think about 1/4" of rain so far this spring. The sodded yards are still quite tan-ish if the sprinklers aren't on yet. Even the yards I've fertilized are still somewhat dormant.

Yesterday I mowed 3 schools for the first time. Couple of clumps here and there, but for the most part just like it had been mowed weekly. Good thing we haven't had any rain, I woulda been up that creek. :)

9. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Here in maryland they are growing like crazy. Out of our 65 lawns I would say 60 of them grow an average of 4-5" in 7 days time. If I could get my hands on the fert guys I would kill them. <<<Well not really but I would give them a peice of my mind!

10. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I haven't noticed abnormal growth. Most lawns are growing nicely, at their usual spring pace. We haven't had a lot of rain here like in previous years. Enough to keep 'em going, but not to disturb my schedule.

:D