Is the grass really greener on the other side?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Heavenly Green, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Heavenly Green

Heavenly Green LawnSite Member

I would like to here from some people with lco,s in Texas.
    Ive been in bizz 5 yrs. now in MI. And I would like to move back to my home state and make it happen around Houston. Whats the competition like, cutting season ect. Here in MI its cutt throat
    and people are very cheap.
    My dad lives in Houston and hired a service they charge $25. per cut. thats the same price Im getting in MI for a lot that size but the cost of living is a lot more and our season is only 28wks.

Plus the lack of snow is a big problem. I worked 3 meaningless
    jobs last winter just to scrape by.

There has got to be a better place to setup my bizz.
    Just in a 2mi. stretch of road today we counted 18 differant lawn
    crews.

Any helpfull repllies are greatly appreciated.

Steve@ Heavenly Greenscapes LLC:dizzy:

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Ouch. Sounds like you got quit a bit of competition. I thought I had it bad here. There's a bunch of guys just running around with 21" cutting every lawn they can as fast as they can and get paid very little $$$. It makes my prices look high and I consider myself cheap at $35 an hour cheap. :dizzy:

3. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

pack it up, go sell cars.. thats where the money is:p

4. Heavenly Green

Heavenly Green LawnSite Member

F-350(LOL You drive a ram 1500)

Thats not helping. I dont care to sell cars. Im happy doing what Im doing just not happy doing it in my present location.

Steve @ Heavenly Greenscapes LLC:cry:

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If you are only getting 25 per cut, especially down in that area, there is something wrong. We get well over that, up here. There are alot of nice, newer subs down there, and it would seem to me, that there would be much more quality work down there than just the 25 dollar jobs. I would also look into more commercial down there, I believe. Alot of nice sites. Who takes care of that big mall where the theaters are at? That is where the Kroger state offices are. That's a nice area! I would just notch up the price a bit, sell yourself on quality, and have at it. 25 is WAY too cheap, no matter WHAT area you're in. Good luck with it.