1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is the JD Quik Trak 647A a decent machine?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by snowmower, Dec 30, 2007.

1. snowmower

snowmower LawnSite Member

I just bought this unit and have 15 days to decide if I want to return it. It's just for my 2.5 acre yard. Iv'e wanted a JD mower with a 7 iron II and this was a demo with 7 hours on it. It was a price I could afford. It seemed kind of fun riding on it. It seems that most of the threads about them are a couple years old. It sounds like you either love them or hate them. Are the current models better now? I'm trying to get out to test it but we are getting snow. It figures. If I take it back I, my second choice was the EZ Trak 445 with the thinner deck. Thanks
  2. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

you bought a mower that you didn't demo? I have heard mixed opinions on the mower. Do a search in on the site and you will find a bunch of info on it.
  3. snowmower

The 15 days is the demo.
  4. ExclusiveLawnCare

ExclusiveLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah lets hear what some guys think about this mower, cause I was looking at the JD line up.
  5. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

After owning alot of different mowers the 7 iron deck in my opinion is the best cutting in multi conditions that I have used . Doesnt stripe too good but the finish cut is great
  6. cpipke

cpipke LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I own 6 Quick Trac's and 1 777 all new.

2 - 647A
    2 - 657A
    2 - 667A
    1 - 777

The 7 Iron II deck is the best iv'e used, and I have owned (not just demoed)
    Wright, Kabota, Exmark, Hustler, Toro and Ferris.
    I have owned 2 of the older 7 Iron decks and the 7 Iron II is an improvement, the Quick Trac's took me about a week to master, they do not hold a hill quite as well as the Wright but the cut quality is much better, I just eliminated all of the Wrights from my fleet and only run Deere.
  7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I can't comment on the stand-on mower concept of the Quik-Trac, but do have a couple of seasons of experience with the 7 Iron II deck on a Z-Trac. I have a 48" deck with the 7 Iron II deck (model 717A), and agree with other comments on quality of cut. It is superior to my Exmark TriAdvantage in quality of cut. However, just as stated above, it does not lay a good stripe. But, my customers are more pleased with the 7 Iron II results, than with the stripes on the TriAdvantage deck cuts.

I am presuming the mowing deck used on the stand-on mowers is identical (e.g. shape, baffles, discharge chute, etc) to the deck on the ZTR models.
  8. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

I just bought a 657A and so far so GREAT!

Im impressed with the cut and ease of handling the machine. Ive only used it for a couple cleanups so far and I cant wait to get it out this spring when the grass starts to grow.
  9. snowmower

If I may ask another question. How and when do you guys clean your decks? At the end of each day? Once a week? Do you just power wash it up on ramps? What can I do to make it last a long time other then just change the oil keep the blades sharp?
  10. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

I clean it as often as I need it. I just scrape it with a putty knife and then hose it down. I never use a power washer.

Look through the owners manual and it will tell you what sort of maintenance it requires and how often.