1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is the lawncare business saturated?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ramossjr, Jul 11, 2004.

1. ramossjr

ramossjr LawnSite Member
    from TN

I was just curious about the lawn care business being saturated. I'm from East TN and I'm very interested in starting my own business, but as I look around every truck has a trailer on the back full of lawn equipment. Could this be an indication that the lawn care business is becoming saturated? I've been told that there's plenty to go around. I just don't want to invest time and money in something that may fail, plus I don't want to low-ball just to gain customers. Could someone help!
  2. brandon1022

brandon1022 LawnSite Member

It does seem like there are several, but I think the business is there. Anything to get out of Denso.
  3. Franco

Franco LawnSite Member

Well look at all the grass, of course there will be a lot of people cutting, there is a high demand for it
  4. ramossjr

ramossjr LawnSite Member
    from TN

Also, I've noticed people selling their equipment, does this mean more grass to mow for me? I've heard that some people are not in it for the long haul, they make their money and they get out. Is this true? Thanks
  5. Franco

Franco LawnSite Member

I dunno, but thats what i plan on doing, but im 15 so ya... but its always something to fall back on if whatever else u want to do doesnt work out.
  6. ABrown

ABrown LawnSite Member

I thought there were alot of lwan care business around our area to S.C. but I got to looking in the yellow pages and noticed ther were also alot of doctors,lawers,realestate agents, electricians and so on. And I got to thinking if they were pulling trailers they would stand out more too.
  7. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

"becoming" saturated? Every time a place lays off any workers, half of them are out there with their lowes mowers, undercutting prices. And, here in the Tri-cities, another company announced they're laying off 450 workers soon!
    But there is plenty of room for competition. Come on in the water's fine.
  8. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi ramossjr,

Any business venture can fail. You have the ability to make your company stand out from the rest. Remember you can do it. You just have to do more than others.
  9. Malach636

Malach636 LawnSite Member

I would have to say that no matter how saturated the field gets, there is still room for everybody. I asked myself the same question last year. It took me some time, but I answered that question myself. Much like when I started my asphalt repair /maintenance co, it doesnt really matter how much competition there is. As long as you do good work, advertise right, and keep a fair price, the work will come to you. Good quality work is the best way to weed out the sub-par LCO's.
  10. ramossjr

ramossjr LawnSite Member
    from TN

Guys I really appreciate all the support and I'm going for it! Failure and Fear are not options! I will succeed!!!