Is the PGP becoming the generic head ?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mdirrigation, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

I am sitting here with a K rain , and an orbit head and a PGP , They are all the same , same adjustment key , same adjustments , and they all interchange bodies. Is this the end of the PGP ?

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I just worked on my first K-rains yesterday that were like that. There have been a few other Ks but not this model. I was kind of thinking the same as you on it. Homeowners already complain when I charge them $20-$28 for a PGP (depending on how many and how nice they are :) ).

3. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it just my own coincidence of observation, but do those green top Orbit rotaries fail/get stuck more often than a PGP Hunter?

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Yes they do. So something isn't exactly like the PGP. Internal design, quality of materials used to make, design/engineering, something.

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

It's kind of hard to imagine that the Orbit rotors aren't actually made by Hunter in their own factory, so outside of the cap, I'm not sure what differences there would be. I bought a few, in order to try their green nozzles in some old Hunter shrub rotors (the original red ones having crumbled in the sunlight), and haven't seen much of a performance difference.

6. WalkGood

A definition of a cheap knock-off, no?

7. Wet_Boots

By the way, you can thread a Super700 into a Hunter body, not that I can think of a good reason for doing so.

8. WalkGood

Earlier in Spring, I came across an Orbit zonevalve that was letting water thru when "off". This orbit valve looks exactly like an Irritrol gray jar top valve (2400???). Jartop matches, and looks identical. But.... the guts don't fit exactly and the valve leaked more. Actually opening enough to run all the heads.

On closer look the removable ring of the Irritrol is slighly smaller. And the valve seat area of the Irritrol diaphragm is smaller than the internal valvebody seat of the Orbit valve. Wound up replacing the whole valve.

9. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

I looked a bit deeper , the orbit head and the hunter both had the same patent number . I talked with my distributor and he told me that the patent on the pgp has expired . So it does look like that anybody can make that head

10. Wet_Boots

Was the patent expired ten years ago? (or whenever it was that the Orbit rotor first appeared) ~ I still suspect a 'private-label' sort of arrangement, so that Hunter could get some of the home-center sales.