Is the scotts tech full of....

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by greenstar lawn, Aug 16, 2012.

1. greenstar lawn

greenstar lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Customer called and said the Scott's tech said the reason for nutsedge in the lawn is bc I am cutting too high. I am in Michigan and it's mainly kbg. I cut the lawn st 3.5". I cut all my lawns at 3.5-4". Is this tech full of $hit? Why blame me?

He also says that I need to bag the lawn(which I do) to limit the dollar spots.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Total BS.

Nutsedge is Nutsedge. It grows just about anywhere anymore.

Also, bagging is one of the worst things you can do for turf management.

I'm surprised a highly qualified, well paid turf tech from Scott's didn't have the right answers. :rolleyes: :hammerhead:

3. Dave Stuart

Dave Stuart LawnSite Member

Nutsedge gravitates & colonizes areas in turf that hold water are boggy or are slow to dry out, these plants are perennial & their tubers thrive better in moist areas.
    Although this weed infests or can infest all areas of a turf stand these moist, wet places in a yard seem to be pronounced.
    Keep mowing high this extends root system of cool season turf and helps enhance photosynthesis as well as evapotranspiration of water.

Mow 1/3 of the blade off at mowing intervals and do not bag the clippings, recycling of leaf tissue is important.
    Only bag if you miss a mow or have been inconsistent with intervals/ removed more than 1/3 the blade.

Sulfentrazone and halasulfuron applications have shown reductions in the populations of sedge on turf stands over time.

Dave.

4. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I bet scotts guaranteed their lawn but they do not want to spray.

5. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

All the big companies around here put the blame on mowing...too high, too short, too often, not often enough. Whatever fits the situation so as to push blame on somebody else and not have to actually come up with an educated answer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. greenstar lawn

Thanks guys.
    It is between two yards but on his side. Its low area and gets doubled from him and neighbors. I tried to ex plain to him but he is taking the tech's side. Oh well he won't even notice that I am not dropping the height.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

They do the exact same thing here. It is NEVER the squirt guys fault.

8. Burnie

Burnie LawnSite Member

Well around here it is NEVER the Mowing Guys Fault. Cutting too short, tapering the edges, scalping around mailboxes, light poles, along edge of home, but the grass is dying and it is MY fault, NOT the mowing guy. Goes BOTH ways guys. :hammerhead:

9. greenstar lawn

Yep that is why I started to work with a local guy that is certified and licensed and has a great program with great results. Slowly getting him more and more of my customers
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Dave,
    Every year we see more and more of it in sandy well drained soils.