Is the season coming to an end?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smallstripesnc, Sep 18, 2013.

1. smallstripesnc

smallstripesnc LawnSite Senior Member

Its been about a month since we've had rain here in Charlotte and temperatures are starting to cool down.

Not much growth and people seem to refuse to use their irrigation.

Aeration and over seeding is in full force now that its cooled down some.

Just curious if this is the way it is everywhere!

2. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

I have one more mow on all of my accounts then that will be it for mowing. Shifting gears to clean ups. season always ends quick in the middle of september.

3. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I would think you guys in the south would mow later into the year than we do up here. I have had to mow until at least Nov for the last several years now, and I mean actually mow grass, not leaves. The grass is growing good here right now as it usually does this time of year.

4. Year round here in fl. EOW starts Nov 1 and goes until April 30. Only grass that i go EOW in Oct is bahia..st Aug/zoysia go weekly til Nov 1.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

I used to live just north of Orlando in Altamonte Springs. I remember the guys mowing there year round as well.

6. lawnsaspire

lawnsaspire LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't believe my ears on this one. After all the rain you guys have had down there! And more is forecasted for you this wknd. I'd be looking for another job if I had to end things that early here. My mowing is slow right now, but with an inch or two of rain I'll be mowing until the end of OCt. Starting weekly leaf service in mid-OCT.

7. Yea and we are typically 10 degrees warmer in south Florida so you can imagine that things never really stop...
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

I was thinking the same. While most don't want to pay for mowing into November, the grass DOES still grow - if slowly. I mow my own lawn up until Thanksgiving and sometimes beyond.

Here in Western PA the grass has been growing non-stop this season - it's like spring never ended with all the rain we've gotten.
    I don't even want to think about how hard it's going to be in a few weeks with the leaves falling on top of still-growing lawns. I mean the grass is always "still growing" while the leaves are falling, but this year is going to be interesting.

9. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Yep, leaves getting buried or tangled in taller than normal grass for the time of year will make blowing a bit tougher, but make mulching when I can, a lot easier to hide the mulched debris in.

10. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Yes but if they want aerated they HAVE to water at least once and enough to soften the soil.
    Oh, I insist, and I prefer they'd water once after it's seeded, too.

Beyond that I can't argue with them, if they don't want to water, leave it be.

It is frustrating, rain all year and now this, we might get some precipitation this weekend, and maybe not but there's just not a whole lot we can do, one of the hard parts about this job is we are so dependent on the weather.