Is the season coming to an end?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smallstripesnc, Sep 18, 2013.

1. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know Charles but I'm a block from the beach, my lawn is still blush and green but hasn't grown an inch in two weeks. The same is occurring on 80% of the lawns I maintain. Every year that I have been in business it has been the same cycle. The St Augustine lawns get a little more growth but most of my lawns are centepede. I know our temps differ from mid SC because of the sea breeze. I assume the temp is the reason for slow growth.
  2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I think you just need a lot more rain. We had flooding rains up until a month ago. A few showers since then. Most of my centipede yards (that got the showers) are green and still growing. A breeze/wind will help dry yards out. Frost and drought are what causes warm season grasses to go dormant. Your problem could be dry breezy weather. Cooler temps and less sunlight slow them down. I have been out mowing by March 3 or so if the frosting ends by then. Parts of my centipede/bermuda yard are going dormant too because I haven't had any rain in 3 weeks. The other yards that got the showers are still growing slowly enough to cut every 2 weeks. Being that close to the Ocean could effect the grass. Not sure about that factor
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  3. smallstripesnc

smallstripesnc LawnSite Senior Member

Lucky man! I wish I lived a block from the beach (its always been a dream). A lot of the lawns around Charlotte are going dormant due to the lack of rain. It looks like we'll get some rain this weekend which will get some growth going for October so maybe the season isn't quite over if we get some rain.
  4. lawnsaspire

lawnsaspire LawnSite Bronze Member

5. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

6. lawnsaspire

lawnsaspire LawnSite Bronze Member

I just don't know how you guys make a living at this looking at green grass and saying "does it need mowed?" As long as they've grown to a reasonable degree, why not keep mowing every 7 days? That's not mistreating the customer. They probably didn't offer you any more when you were having torrential downpours and have to go over everything 4 times or empty your bag every 5 feet did they? If it's as green as you're describing it must be growing somewhat still?
  7. Exactly.
    In the winter here on the week that we cut there is not a lot of growth and we fly through the lawns. BUT, in the summer there is tons of growth and i will double cut if i need to. Its all comes out in the wash but we cut every single week here until Nov 1 then EOW. Now i do realize temps are still in the 80s here in Nov but i cant imagine that in SC in Sept/Oct st Augustine is already going near dornancy.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. goodgreen

goodgreen LawnSite Senior Member

I've had people shutting down their sprinkler systems earlier this year for some reason. We have had some rain lately. But the past two years, I've mowed almost until the end of November. Not sure about 2013.
  9. Utah Lawn Care

Utah Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

In Utah I have noticed this last week the lawns have slowed down just slightly. They are still green and growing. People are getting in their heads it's coming to an end though. People are requesting us to only cut 1 or 2 more times. It's kind of funny because most of my weekly clients I will mow till the end of October. I am sure I will get called back later when the lawn is full of leaves and the grass is 10 inches tall.
  10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Many of the lawns I mowed this week. I had to double and triple cut to spread out the clippings. Combination of centipede and bermuda. Weekly and eow lawns. No rain in 3 weeks. Maybe different along the coast, but we are still growing here. A lot of moisture still in the soil due to the past floods. Some yards are growing faster than others. September and October have always been good months for me when the moisture is there. November is good depending on the frost date and what customers want I start asking customers if they want their lawn cut after the 1st of November. Some do and some don't.