Is the speed for a ZTR measured on a smooth surface or on grass?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, Mar 10, 2001.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Just another curious thread.....Is the speed for a ZTR measured on a smooth surface or ongrass? I'm talking about the speed the manufacturers claim. I would assume it would be slower in grass, right? Well, does anyone know?
  2. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I would think they would measure the speed of the machine on a smooth surface to get the fastest possible speed. Like football players speeds are measured on a track with no pads or helmet. Of course I do not know for sure...but I would assume this is what they do...
  3. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

from my understanding fror exmark (just them) that theirs is on turf. it has a chart on the back of their book on how many acres you can mow in a hour at speeds from 1.5 mph up to 10mph. i have no clue on the other companies.
  4. turfguy33

turfguy33 LawnSite Member

I have often wondered that myself,...... I called dane and scag up, and they said that it was the mowing speed under perfect mowing know, grass that's not too thick or tall, and the ground was relatively smooth. To calculate what can be mowed per hour in actual production, I found out that on average I would mow 6 mph. multiply that by 5280(feet per mile)multiply that number by your deck cutting width, then divide by 43560(sq feet per acre), then divide by 12(inches per foot). This number is not actually the exact on how much you can mow, because of overlaping and turns, So I try to figure a 15% production loss.
    Doing this calculation, I can mow just a little over 3 acres per hour.
  5. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, those production charts are very misleading if you go by them all out. Everyones idea of perfect mowing conditions are different. Those charts are made by companies trying to sell us commercial equipment with high production yeilds in our heads. They know that we are going to believe we are mowing at 10 mph if they tell us so. Those charts should show REAL conditions as well. They could still have their PERFECT conditions chart, but just show what a lower real average use is as well.