Is the Stihl MS 180 a good beginner saw

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Cuttinitclose, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Cuttinitclose

Cuttinitclose LawnSite Bronze Member

As the title states, for storm cleanup and bush removal? Its in my price range, a good size for me to handle, and weight as this will be my first saw. Price range is around $250. But I figure this will be a good beginner so I can buy the protective stuff too.

2. kaferhaus

kaferhaus LawnSite Bronze Member

find another 100 bucks and buy the 290. It's a MUCH better saw.

3. mowerknower

mowerknower LawnSite Senior Member

180 is kinda a waste, you might as well go with the 170 and save a few bucks or move up to a bigger saw.

4. Cuttinitclose

This sounds ******** but I'm not that big of a person and with it being my first saw I want it to be something I can manage. I've heard the 290's are quite heavy.

5. mowerknower

Im just saying the ms170 and ms180 are very similar saws, I think it is a waste spend the extra money on the 180. Maybe go with a 210 or 250, very light and managable. If its your first saw, do yourself a favor and get chaps. Chaps are a lot cheaper than stiches

6. Cuttinitclose

Oh yes I plan on the cut retardant chaps and forestry helment system as I already have saftey glasses. I'll ask the dealer to see what he says. If I find that I "out grow" the 180 I will look at the Farm Boss down the road.

7. mowerknower

Hey, chaps are not retarted. I put them on everytime I fire up a saw. You never know when the chain will snap or pop off. I dont know about you but I really dont want to loose a leg, or worse.....

8. Cuttinitclose

I said retardant. See, look up. No I did not change the spelling. Although I stink at spelling.

9. mowerknower

I know, couldnt quite tell if it was sarcastic.

10. Cuttinitclose

Oh I gottcha now.