Is the Stihl MS 180 a good beginner saw

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Cuttinitclose, Jun 16, 2009.

1. mower&more1986

mower&more1986 LawnSite Senior Member

use to 199$ for the 180 then they came out with the 181. and that thing is
    260$! what the..... new fancy chainsaw tech is expensive
    im sticking with my old homelite tell it dies then i'll have to get a new saw.
    give you an idea what an 180 can do check this out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIirv474tvs&feature=channel_page

edit about my homelite videos i dont cut stuff that big offen. actully that pretty much the only time I'll probley see somthing that big. mostly storm debries
    carp i unstalled my spell check im sol on this post :)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  2. Cuttinitclose

Cuttinitclose LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone one this saw care to review it hear?

3. ancjr

ancjr Banned
    from Indiana

MS180 review: Starts on the second pull when cold, first when warm. Cuts great - I'm happy with it even in oak/ash/black walnut. The fuel tank seems small if you're doing a lot of cutting. Anything else? :)

4. mowerknower

mowerknower LawnSite Senior Member

We use the Ms170 to cut open new mower crates. It starts and cuts like a dream everytime. That narrow chain doesnt require much power to cut. I cut down a 2 foot wide tree last year with it. The thing is a champ. You cant beat a stihl chain saw.

5. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

6. DaddyRabbit

DaddyRabbit LawnSite Senior Member

Don't be fooled, I have the MS180 and a variety of other Husky XP's that will flat get the job done in a hurry. Funny thing is, the little 180 is my go to saw, its light and runs like a raped ape. For what you're doing you can't go wrong w/the MS180.

7. Cuttinitclose

Thanks for the reviews, keep em comin.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

For about that same money, the starter saw I bought my 2nd year was the 021 which is nowadays the 210.
    I originally bought the 021 because Hurricane Isabelle had just went through,
    I cut many a fallen tree for my customers at the time, big and small and all kinds, yup, with the 021.

It's light and powerful enough, I'm not a big guy and the 290 has so much power...
    Folks if you're going full tilt and that chain catches you might want to forget the stupid kick-back mechanism because
    by then it could be too late, fact is you need to have enough strength to hold that saw steady when it stops on a dime.
    I could probably use a 230-250 with ease, maybe the 290 but I'm telling you it is scary powerful.

I like my 021, so much so that when it crapped out after 2 years I bought another, the numbers
    have changed so I have both an 021 and a 210, they are the same saw.
    I got the old one running again after it sat for 1-2 years...
    They both run today, I have 3-4 chains for them, I use them about a dozen times a year.

Best thing I ever bought, a bit underpowered now that I'm used to it, but I've always ran the 16" (or is it 14") bar
    that it comes with standard and I am telling you, there ain't many trees it can't do.
    And the trees it won't do because of size, I don't want to do those.

The best thing about the 210 is once I got used to it, I can run mine with one hand,
    not my favorite way of doing things but in cases where I have to keep my free hand
    on something else (like a ladder), I doubt I can run bigger saws one handed.

Anyhow, the 210's got my vote in case you hadn't guessed.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  9. Cuttinitclose

That would be my next choice topsites.

10. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

It is a good saw, even used by loggers for thinning. If you can get it without the "ez crap" it's a winner. Vibrates a bit, but 170 less than 180.

Thing is there are'nt many saws in this weight category with decent power, so it's either this one or dishing out a lot of cash for the pro version.