Is the Toro Timecutter Z good for homeowners???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jonspolaris, Apr 23, 2001.

1. jonspolaris

jonspolaris LawnSite Member

I have a neighbor that has to do everything himself. He has a tractor style mower now, but he likes the ZTR style us "professionals" use. He only has 1/2 acre to cut once a week.

he really liked the Toro Timecuter Z, but wanted opnions from some people before he bought it. he said it was 44" 17hp briggs.

I told him i would as u guys. Do u think this machine would be good for him. he would only use it once a week and only for grass cutting.

thanks

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

sounds like he wants to play,it would probably hold up as well as a LT an be more fun . im seeing more and more home owners with ztrs .some with 60 inch commercial mowers.
    they sure having fun from the look in their eyes.

3. AllSeasonsAllReasons

AllSeasonsAllReasons LawnSite Member

As far as i know the Time cutter only comes with kohler motor's! This fall they are going to be offering kawasakies on them! I gave one a test run the other day it was a great mower for a homeowner! Plus my dealers kid was the Head engineer on that mower! The one i gave a run was the first one ever built and was built by hand by the engineers on the project! Not bragging just thought it was neet! I was also informed that they are going to be offering a bigger engine in the fall for the 52 inch deck the 17 is a little sluggish on that deck! If i was a homeowner and had the money i would by one!!!

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I don't know the price of that Toro, but here is another idea for him. I have noticed in the Lawn Magazines, Dixie Chopper has a X1701 50" ZTR for $4995. This is a 20 year anniversary promotion until the end of April and the price is the same as it was for the 50" 20 years ago. This is an entry level mower, but it does have the same hydro system the deluxe models have. It comes with a 17hp Kohler or you can get it with a 19 Kaw for more money I'm sure. This could be a possiblity for him. Have him check them out and do a demo on both. Anyway, I just thought I would mention it. ;)

5. AllSeasonsAllReasons

AllSeasonsAllReasons LawnSite Member

The Toro with the 52 inch deck and 17 hose kohler is 4,750 here! The 44 deck 16 horse is 3,999

6. MJH9

MJH9 LawnSite Member

I was wondering how long it would be before the big boys came after the home owner Z market. For a list of 4599.00 which I found on Toro's web site, it doesn't look like a bad unit. 2yr consumer warranty looks pretty appealing also. Just for your information, I also heard that Encore is coming out with a 34" Z Rider that is somewhat a take off of their other Z's. The picture I seen of it had their standard 2 piece seat w/arm rests, cup holder. They are using a 15hp FH Kawasaki engine, Hydrogears IZT Drives and best of all the same welded deck they use on their commercial units. I am not a big fan of stamped decks. Don't quote me on this but I think they are offering a 2yr warranty consumer and 1yr warranty on commercial, price wise I was told they will retail around 4399.00. Might be worth checking into, I am going to look at one for mowing a couple of cemetary's where some of the stones are a little tight!

Happy Mowing!!

7. jonspolaris

jonspolaris LawnSite Member

thanks Eric,

the only problem with getting one is there are not dealers for them around here. We do have a Toro dealer, but to get a Dixie Chopper would be at least a hour drive.

that price on the Chopper sounds good too.

jon