Is the trimmer power really needed?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dashunde, May 15, 2006.

1. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

I bought my wife a FS45 the other day - she wants to work with me.

I did my rounds with it yesterday to break-in and tune... and uh, I really liked using it, except for the curved shaft.
    It felt like a feather, and had far more than enough power to do an average account.

I have a new FS80 and an old but perfectly fine running FS55, and they both have more power than I'll ever need for any of my clients - I'd happily trade the power off for less weight.

So this has me thinking...
    Why dont they make a super light weight, modestly powered trimmer built to commercial standards? A straight shaft, good bearings, good clutch, and the rest of the stuff that makes one built to take the daily punishment, but with a small, light engine.
    I'd buy it in a second.:cool2:
  2. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

That's exactly why I use the Echo SRM210. Lighter then most but still has plenty of power to whack anything I've come across so far. This is the 3rd year with it and still runs strong...bugger to start but after that she's good to go. I have a bigger unit but think I've only used it 2 or 3 times just to make sure it still works, sits in the rack as backup.

3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I use my five year old RedMax BC2300 95% of the time. Lightweight and I can do almost anything with it. When I need big cutting power, then I pull off the Shindaiwa T270 with .105 string.

Keeping the right tool for every job can really keep productivity up. Hey, time is money.:)
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

One reason for a little power is to pull a 20" cord....why 20" well we don't want these big machines running over the fence or bushes etc. etc. When the trim guy does his job we want him to walking continuous without going back and forth to get this wide cut. The Echo 210 will have a little problem pulling a long line, in fact the 230 can't pull it either, but the 261 does. If you don't need to make a wide swath then the little unit would definitely be better.
  5. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

try the shindaiwa 231 I used one for a week and it was very light.They have a 7 day money back guarantee.
  6. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

If the guy on the mower does a good job there is no reason to trim 20" out. I can go within 4-6 inches of a fence or shrub and not even look at the corner of the deck. Plus I don't slow down much :confused:

PS Never have hit anything yet!!!!