Is the ttiger worth $1400 more than the 227 hopper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by str400ex, Mar 9, 2007.

1. str400ex

str400ex LawnSite Member

Is the scag tt worth 1400 more the the 227 grasshopper if so why Thanks Shawn Reardon

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Compare engines,pumps,wheel moters.

3. str400ex

str400ex LawnSite Member

I guess that means you think it is worth the money

4. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

Well with the hopper you are getting a 27 kohler,on the scag what model is the engine,grasshopper has 10cc pumps on the scag tt you are getting 16cc pumps,did you price the tt with a lc 27 kawasaki,if you don't mind how much.

5. str400ex

str400ex LawnSite Member

29 kaw dfi I am leaning heavy to the scag but I just need to justifiy it to myself to spend the extra money thanks for the help

6. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

Man you are getting a high dollar machine on the tiger,the efi starts in a split second to me scags are top mowers it's what i would chose,you talk bout $1400 difference just between the engines there is $1400,go with the scag.

7. F.O.S.

F.O.S. LawnSite Member

When comparing the two models you listed I would say definitely go with the turf tiger, it is much more of a commercial mower than the 227 and the 29 efi motor is far better than the kohler command pro (imo). The 227 grasshopper is an entry level commercial or high end home owner model. I think if you wanted a better comparison I would look at the 329 hopper.

8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I would tend to go with the 29 efi Scag. But to say the 227 grasshopper is an entry level comercial or high end home owner model would not be giving the 227 a fair shake. It is a commercial mower period and a good one. We have a few dealers on here (Lawnsite) that should back me up on this. If it were a more even choice such as the 27 Kohler on the Grasshopper and Scag it would be a much closer decision. But the Scag is a bit heavier built and has a better deck in my opinion but there is nothing wrong with the Grasshopper. We are thick with them here and they have a good reputation with diesels going over 5000 hrs. Just my 2 cents, both are good mowers.

9. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I already have 3 tigers, so my answer would be bias. but I will say that I am a Caterpiller mechanic at night, and I know commercial (heavy duty) equipment. Scags machines use the best components available. This includes bearings, metal quality, electrical components, belts, pumps, linkages, etc. And Scags aren't crammed together into a compact design. You can actually work on them with out dissassembling half the machine. But like you say, you can buy a grasshopper cheaper. They know what their machine is worth. I believe the price I paid for my tigers was an investment in years of trouble free operation. So far, that has proven to be right.

10. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

The 200 series hopper and the turf tiger is no comparison you need to look at the 300 or 400 series to compete and i guarantee the turf tiger will be cheaper in price.