Is the Ultravac worth it

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mortymower, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Mortymower

Mortymower LawnSite Member

Hi I am getting ready to purchase a new Exmark Laser HP 44 with a 17 twin. I want to know if I can just mulch the leaves or if the mower can't handle it and I need to buy an ultravac. Also how much are the ultravacs?

2. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

An UltraVac will run you about $2k, depending on what version of it you get.

I have a TORO 44", which is basically the same mower. I run DOUBLED GATORS on it in the FALL & it really grinds up the leaves. Try windrowing them & then BACKING OVER the windrow. Mine does fine HP wise. I am finding it hard to justify buying an ULTRAVAC as most Homeowners won't want to pay enough for the job to warrant pickup/disposal cost/extra time/extra expense we incur. I charge them 50% more then regular mowing to mulch them up.

Mike

3. Mortymower

Thanks Grassbusterslawn, but do they make some kind of all metal box that I can just stick on the side like a walk behind ?

4. Stripe This

Stripe This LawnSite Member

'03 Lazer Z HP UltraVac for a 52" cost $1200 or so. The vac for the 44 should be in that ballpark.

I'm not sure how everyone gets away without bagging, especially in the Fall, but in my opinion the UltraVac is worth the money. We bag throughout the year, so it's not a seasonal thing for us. During October, we first blow the leaves off the lawn, vaccuum them into the truck, finally cut the lawn. With all that said, the UltraVac is still handy especially with the 8-9 bushel capacity.

5. GrassBustersLawn

GOBBLER & GRASS CATCH-HERR make boxes to hang on the side. THEY ARE HEAVY. I understand ACCELERATOR makes similar out of aluminum, which is lighter & twice as expensive! I have 2 gobblers & don't use them anymore. I just mulch them up.

Mike

6. GrassBustersLawn

morty

By the way, I think the Gobblers are in the $150 range. Then they have an add-on box for leaves, adds 2x the capacity & weight. I've used it on my 36" Metro HP & my 48" LazerHP. Have to watch where you are going as they add more than a foot to the width. They fill up FAST too.

Mike

7. Mortymower

Thanks but I had a feeling they would be quite heavy

8. carlsmower

carlsmower LawnSite Member

Ultra vac will handle leaves awesome, mulching in leaves does alright but it is nice to vac up lawn before winter

9. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I have the 3 bag Ultravac on my 60" lazer Z. One of the very best purchases i have ever made. It makes shrub trimming clean up a breeze. Just toss everything on the lawn and vacuum it up. Will handle a wide range a material. It really shines on leaf clean up.IMO :)