Is the Unique demo kit worth $600

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Sutherland, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Sutherland

Sutherland LawnSite Member

My local nursery has the Unique demo kit marked down from $1400 to $600, seems like a good deal. I was wondering if this kit has helped any of you sell jobs?

2. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Not sure about their kit. I made my own.
    8 pars cans, 2 par floods, 4 mr16 spots, 4 path lights, 2 mini wash lights, 10 kichler LED spots in varying wattages to show LED , halogen contrast. A 900 watt transformer prebuilt with quick connects. 5 spools of 12/2 cable. 125' long with an inline connector every 20'. I have 6 premade hubs with quick disconnects also. Everything rides in 2 rollaway totes.

There is no doubt the demo helps sell. sometimes it can be a pain but it generally pays off.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

I used my demo kit until I got confident in what I was doing. But I feel o lost a few jobs once they saw what I would do. Like the other thread that is going. My .02
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

5. Mark B

They would see where to place the fixture, what there house would look like. Plus they are a pita to setup & remove.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

My fuzzy brain still doesn't get it.. Are you saying they just do it themselves after they see where they can place lights?

7. Mark B

Pretty much. Between your fuzzy brain and my wonder explaining skills through the keyboard, it is hard for me to get my point across. It is more me then your fuzzy brain.

To me it is the time waisted driving to set it up, then time to remove it talk about the design blah blah blah stuff, and how the economy sucks. I feel now I am better off without the demo. I have not used it in a few years. But again I have been in a real crappy place in my life.

Right now life is so good, I am waiting for something to happen.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. jlouki01

jlouki01 LawnSite Senior Member

Tim,

When you demo do you leave it overnight to let them salivate a couple days?

If so do you make them responsible for 3000 worth of lighting equipment?

9. Mark B

I would leave mine up for a few days. I started charging for the demo then taking the amount off of the total towards the end.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Tomwilllight

Tomwilllight LawnSite Senior Member

I don't like to leave a mock-up on site longer than one night. Too many things can happen to your work/equipment. I've had problems with a client bringing their electrician in to copy my work.

Besides the mock-up itself is not a thing of beauty; in the daylight they look sloppy. Better to get in and clear it out.

Tom