Is there a 6.5 Briggs fix?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by casey, Sep 1, 2001.

1. casey

casey Guest

I have one of the early 6.5 Briggs that you said had some problems withe the valvetrain in the early units. The mower has been collecting dust for the past 2 years because of poor cutting due to the sluggish engine. Is there a fix for this problem or is Briggs or Exmark offering any compensation for their early mistakes on this engine?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Casey,

The first thing we need to determine is if the engine is lacking power or if we are asking too much from it. Once we've determined the problem is in the engine we should then begin determine why it is down on power.

If your 6.5 Briggs seams sluggish you should probably have the engine inspected by your local dealer. It is critical that that engine be set at 3000 rpm under no load conditions. If the engine is set below that you will see a noticeable decrease in performance.

As I recall all valvetrain issues on the Intek engine were corrected with the exception of leaking gaskets. Most of these should have been corrected before your would have received your mower. There was an update kit available that included new gaskets as well as a front bumper to protect the valve cover.

Do you have a local Exmark dealer?

Thank you

Terry

3. casey

casey Guest

In a previous post you stated the mowers without the front bumber likely had a Briggs with the valvetrain problems & the ones with had the corrected Briggs. Do I assume from that statement that the Briggs problem was fixed only on the later models with the bumper. My mower has no bumper & has been to the dealer a few times to have the RPM's set. The engine soon becomes sluggish. Were the problems fixed before introducing the engine or did you discover the problem later & if so what can be done to remedy an early 6.5 Briggs.
    Thanks.

4. eXmark

Casey,

If your Metro 21 does not have the bumper in place the possibility that you do not have the latest greatest designed valve cover gasket and valve plate gasket is increased. With the serial number from the mower and from the engine I may be able to determine if it has the latest gasket design. Most likely it does because the older design leaked at an extremely high rate in commercial applications.

Neither of these gaskets should be effecting the power of your engine. From what your telling me is that the engine performs fine once the rpm's have been set and soon after becomes sluggish. My recommendation would be to have your dealer determine why the rpm's continue to drop, is a spring weak, is the adjustment plate damaged etc. Once that is addressed the symptom of sluggish power should be greatly reduced if not eliminated.

You can also have your dealer review Exmark service bulletin # 99-16 that references the gasket leak replacement parts. You should probably have him call me directly at 402-223-6358 due to the age of the service bulletin and to ensure he does not have any difficulties processing the paperwork.

To answer your question regarding when we became aware of the leaking gaskets, it was after we began using this particular engine. Once we became aware of the issue we requested that all units be repaired prior to being retailed. Some units had already been sold and were not registered. Those units are almost impossible to track down for repair. It's like finding a needle in a haystack the size of North America.

Do you have a local Exmark dealer to assist you?

Thank you

Terry

5. Jay ALC

Jay ALC LawnSite Member

I posted a question about this very same issue that I am having with my Toro version of that mower. My exmark dealer told me about the kit for the exmarks but he is not a toro dealer and the toro dealer said there was no such kit. Just wondering if you know where i can get or even buy this kit for my Toro Commercial, it is currently having all the problems mentioned and I have 2 of them with the Briggs engine. Even if you could give me a direct person to call at Toro or any other info. Thanks.

6. eXmark

Jay,

I don't know. I guess I've never called anyone at Toro. You might try this number 952-887-8258. If they can't fix you up let me know. I'm sure there is something we can do.

Thanks

Terry