1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is there a best time to buy lawn equipment?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MrC, Dec 24, 2006.

1. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

I would guess during the winter time dealerships (in the northeast) are not selling a lot of lawn equipment (ex. blowers). Is this the best time to buy or are they pretty much the same price all year round?
  2. AndyTblc

AndyTblc LawnSite Fanatic

Up in west michigan it all depends on the dealer and what you are buying, most generaly tractors and pushmowers can go down. But blowers and trimmers most generally stay up.
  3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I have a real problem buying when you really can't demo or use one. Unless your sure of the mower you want. I have not found a relationship in the price and the time of year on new equipment or at least not enough to buy and let it sit for 4-5 months. I do know Fall and Winter are the best time to buy used (in fact many dealers stock up on used ones at this time of year and sell them in the Spring).

DOLMARatOS LawnSite Member

This time of year we tend to entertain discounts on in-stock equipment to avoid paying any interest via floorplaning.

We also offer FREE storage on our equipment until March 1 and we don't finalize the date on warranty paperwork until the unit is picked up or delivered. If it is in our building, there is no reason for you to lose months off your warranty.

Ask your local dealer about this, they may find it an agreable idea.

My $0.02
  5. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Most manufacturers like Toro, Dixon, Scag, Exmark offer discounts in early spring Feb-March. Ask your dealer about them.
  6. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

i got $800 off my JD in Nov.
  7. asjgabries

asjgabries LawnSite Member

Best time to buy is when you got the money.
  8. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Best time to buy equipment is when you need it. I don' think you need it in the middle of January.
  9. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly - NO debt. :weightlifter: :usflag:
  10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Go to your dealer ealry in the year (Jan or Feb) and talk and get an idea for what you want to buy (mower wise). If you let the dealer know, he can possibly add it to his spring order and that might save you some cash.

Its always better to get booking prices than in-season prices IMO.