Is there a big differance between a 48" and 52"?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K.Carothers, May 12, 2006.

1. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

I run all 48" wb. For those that have run 48 's and 52's, do you see a big difference in time with the 52 that warrant the purchase?

kc

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

No you just get a bigger engine.

3. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Is there a big difference between the 17hp and the 19hp?

kc

4. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

not only the price but consider the trailer. I like to be able to drive up with the catcher on. Depending on the size of the trailer you might not be able to with a 52. I find it saves time and aggrevation imo.

5. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

also the bigger the engine the less load you place on it and the longer I think it lasts.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know about other brands, but with Toros, the 48" outperforms the 52" all day long. It has to do with the fact that 48" Toros come in fixed deck only, while the 52" comes only as a float. That's 200 pounds difference (500 for the float, 300 for the fixed), and maybe the new floats have a 5-speed transmission but even if they do, there is no way they are as fast as the nimble fixed deck.

Back in the old days, float decks all had 4-speeds, don't know if this has changed but the fixed deck has a 5-speed.

Reason I say it is if I so much as put the 75-pound striping kit on my 48", I can feel the drag, so I am sure the 500-lb. behemoth is slower than the 300-lb. light weight. At least with used machines this is always the case, that big nasty float is so much slower, the 48" always finishes first because the difference of 4 inches on a 4-foot wide path is minimal when compared to the speed differential.

Of course, there are several more differences between a float and a fixed deck, but speedwise, the Toro 48" is faster and better than the 52" which is one reason I got rid of both my 52's and now have two 48's. Maybe with a 19hp engine, maybe the 52" can be as fast as the 48" 15hp Kohler, but dang, 20-some percent more horsepower just for 8 percent difference in deck size, what about fuel (nevermind the mpg in your truck, too).

7. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

I get done 4 inches faster than using a 48".

8. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, four inches. :laugh:

9. Dogbonz

Dogbonz LawnSite Senior Member

if you old lady says wow that 6 in is huge!!!!

then 4 in makes a big diff,, i guess

10. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

lol 4 ha,is there a difference in 17 to 19 hp i don't know perhaps a bigger carb or bigger pistons,buy what you need in equipment the first time matching machines with jobs,i use 52 inch and less cuts for us we are taking one more scag ztr this week tuesday the 52 inch wildcat with a 26 lc kaw and a striping kit.