1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is there a big difference between a 48 inch or 52 inch deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jathames, Jun 8, 2008.

1. jathames

jathames LawnSite Member

Is there a major difference in mowing with a 48 or a 52 inch deck.. I have always used decks 48 inches and under

2. skullz

skullz LawnSite Member

4 in. and it will cut your time down if u mow with the hole deck.
  3. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

But I don't think she would call it big.
  4. KCfireman

KCfireman LawnSite Bronze Member

yea. You could put a 48" deck though a 48" gate. I have a friend who has a 52" stander and he's kicking himself for not going with the 48" because there are gates that are barely to small for the 52 but big enough for a 48
  5. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a 36" and a 52" you can use the same blades on both mowers. Makes buying in bulk more efficent.
  6. Green Finger

Green Finger LawnSite Senior Member

There is a difference when you are on large properties. Believe me.
  7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, it makes a difference on large areas. I have a 52 Lesco and a 48 Scag, both walkbehinds and both hydros. I can get done faster with the Lesco but it's a monster and I can't take my hands off the controls much to smoke! It's got so much power and the thing is scary fast. If I decide I want to smoke, I'll pull back on the sticks to not much faster than a stroll.
    But, I do so love my Scag! If I have the time, I'll use it instead simply because it's friendlier. I'm talking about really large areas of course. Walkbehinds are all that I use by choice. Too many Chiropractor visits! Tony
  8. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

What others have said, plus depending on the style and brand 52" will probably have more of a trim edge. Smaller yards and gates 48", more open areas go 52".
  9. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

not that big of a difference, i would definitely go with a 48"...it's basically the universal size, plus getting into 48" gates...the 52" doesn't make much sense to me, even though i have one...i'm going with a 48" next time
  10. Chris G

Chris G LawnSite Member

I have a 48" and I have never had a problem however if you wanted to do the math im sure you could figure out how much time you would save on a big property with the 52"