IS there a cheap generic oil filter for Super Recycler?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Freddy_Kruger, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

My dealer wants $16 for a oil filter for my model # 20057 super recycler. I would rather not be extorted. Can I possibly buy a similar product elsewhere like a walmart or something?

2. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

Almost always. Post the filter brand and number so it can be x-referenced.

3. Freddy_Kruger

its a briggs and stratton then there is two numbers, the one on the label is 78-19856-0112 and the number on the end of the filter is 111 50481.

4. Jim@MilkyWay

Is there a brand/manufacturer on the oil filter?

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I'll bet it is a oregon.

6. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Judging from Toro's website, I'd say the Briggs # is 692513. With the part number you may be able to an auto parts dealer and see if he can cross over that number. You can do as you want but I would not opt for the cheapest oil fliter.

Dutch

7. Jim@MilkyWay

1) dutch1 is right-on. The Fram Tuff Guard line is still inexpensive, at 1/3 to 1/2 of what you inferred is a rip, but is not the cheapest you will find.
    2) I went to Uncle Wally's (WalMart in normal speak), armed with a bolt that would screw into the old filter, and a vernier. The bolt gives you the thread pitch, there won't be that many to check as only a few different pitches will exist. The vernier gives you diameter and length. Select, off the shelf, a filter in about the correct size, specifically the diameter, open it up in the store, and find one that your bolt will screw into (thereby matching the thread pitch).
    3) If it will 'fit', chose a filter with a little more length. Additional length gives you additional volume and filter capacity.
    4) IF, repeat if, you go with a little longer filter, check your oil level on the dip stick and note that you will need to increase your oil volume a little. I use Duralube oil treatment to make up difference, up to 12% give or take.

8. Jim@MilkyWay

Whoops
    Forgot sumpin'
    Don't invite trouble. Wait till the engine warranty period is up before adding any oil additives.

9. Freddy_Kruger

I wont add additives but I am changing the oil more frequently than the manual wants ya to, its so easy. but the filter is 16 freakin dollars I think they should be 4-5 bucks. I havent changed the filter yet because I don't want to pay that much.

I figure this machine gets 15 hours a week on it and I change the oil every two weeks. I think the manual said every 100 hours or once a year but I don't think they meant that for commercial use.

I'm going to take that filter off and take it to canadian tire, thanks for the tip about thread size and all.

I also think I'm paying to much for oil for this machine even though I buy it at home depot why is lawn mower oil 3x more than what car oil is?

10. Jim@MilkyWay

Are you _really_ running new oil without a new filter?

Now, THERE is a good question.