Is there a difference in Horsepower??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DillonsLawnCare, May 2, 2008.

1. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

im looking at some new mowers, and one has got the 21hp Kawi without the dual stage air filter for $6100. and then the 23hp Kawi with the dual stage air filter for $8500.

will the horsepower affect me or does it not matter???

thanks

2. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

What size deck? I assume you are talking about toro models.

3. DillonsLawnCare

yes the 52" deck.

4. metro36

Well I use a exmark 48 with an ultravac which has 21hp kawi and and it never bogs down. I cant really tell you which is better though. Why don't you demo both and then decide.

5. DillonsLawnCare

i cant, the $8500 is on special order. and the other one..... they dont have a demo unti.

6. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

They are the same engine (same displacement - 675cc) with a few exceptions, carbs etc. It's not a $2400 difference. Go with the 21hp. Everything else equal, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two.

Q

7. metro36

Well then the choice is clear, 21. That should do fine for ya. It will also save you a lot of money!

8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I tend to agree. There isn't $2,400 difference for sure. Sometimes you can just get a better deal on the more popular unit, or what is in stock. Rarely will you get a good deal on a special order.

9. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

Yup, if it's in stock it's almost surely to be a better price than the special order. Especially now that fuel costs are so high it's making the freight bill on ordering 1 unit ridiculous from most vendors.

10. DillonsLawnCare

will the 21hp give me better gas mileage as opposed to the 23hp?

thanks.