Is there a downside to having a CDL?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by MDLawn, Aug 6, 2010.

1. MDLawn

MDLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

For those that have it do you see any real negatives? If i were to purchase a different truck to haul my dump trailer the combo would land me in CDL territory. Just want to know if there is anything to know?

Thanks!

2. castlerockmo

castlerockmo LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have one but I know your blood akly level has to be lower if you stopped I know that. Their a lot harder on you if you have a CDL don't matter if your driving your personal vehicle or not. But no one should be drinking and driving or not ad hearinf to the law anyways. So no downside really!
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. MDLawn

MDLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats not realy what I was thinking!!! LOL :hammerhead:

4. castlerockmo

castlerockmo LawnSite Senior Member

That's the only thing I could think of off the top of my head. But I need to go get mine I got a warning the other day!
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. bighornjd

bighornjd LawnSite Member

That's about it, if you get a DUI you will likely lose your CDL. Shouldn't matter but I guess it could be a problem for some people. It can be expensive to get but well worth it if you ask me.

6. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

health exams every 2 years... not covered by insurance either.

7. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

B.A.C. here only applies if operating a commercial vehicle. While operating a personal vehicle it's still .08%. I don't drink and drive so it doesn't matter to me... One down side to having a CDL is you better strap everything down perfect or you'll get a ticket really quick instead of a warning. On the flip side I've been let off a few speeding tickets for having a CDL or a Military donation license plate one or the other.

8. dbear

dbear LawnSite Senior Member

Mine are. My insurance covers a physical per year. I have to get my BP checked every 3 months due to being borderline high, and that's all covered too. Maybe cause my doc slips it by in conjunction with routine blood cholesterol testing (the result of getting old, I guess). Of course, every visit is $15, plus whatever is not covered for the tests.

Probably sum up the downside of a CDL by saying increased "cost of ownership"; more expensive to get and maintain.

9. 360ci

360ci LawnSite Senior Member

CDL license has different specs according to state/province. I know every 5 years you have to take a road test, with company vehicle or other to keep your license going. Most companies pay for this, however, if you drive for yourself it comes out of your pocket.

With a few hours of training you can technically go for your CDL license. There different CDL licenses as well, from straight truck, tractor trailer, as well as different endorsements such as air brakes.

If you plan on hauling heavy in the future it'd be worth while to get prepared now.

10. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a Class A and the only difference in TN is that the points for violations may be increased but not always. Also the license is $125 as opposed to $20 but last twice as long between renewals