Is there a fertilizer that kills crabgrass?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by mark_the_psycho, Jul 2, 2006.

1. mark_the_psycho

mark_the_psycho LawnSite Member

Is there a fertilizer that kills crabgrass?

edit: Also, there are random brown spots showing up in my yard, is this a sign of grub?

2. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

why would something designed to make things grow,,,,kill something?

3. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

No, there's not a fertilizer that will kill crabgrass. There are pre-emergent fertlizers that when watered in and applied in early spring will prevent crabgrass germination throughout the season given proper mowing height, trimming, etc.
    You can try www.crabgrassalert.com if you want to kill crabgrass. I'll put that in there because Norm Al doesn't want to sound like he sells it :)

The brown spots are probably a fungal disease (red thread, dollar spot). Is it hot and humid in Ohio?

4. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

As said pre-em like barricade, demension, team etc ,acclaim extra and drive are expensive options that can be used for post emergence control.

5. Tim Johnson

Tim Johnson LawnSite Member

sounds like you have brown spot, in the lawn. Drive 75 will smoke out that garb grass, its expense.

6. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Acclaim and Drive are the best post-emergent options, but they are expensive. I have actually had good luck with a PBI Gordon product called Tri-mec plus, it is good on most broadleafs (about the same as a normal 3-way product) but it also contains MSMA and at its high rate will kill crabgrass quite nicely. I don't know how they were able to mix 3-way and msma, as anyone who has tried it will tell you, they are not compatable, like smoke and heat everywhere until you are left with a solid.

7. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

i knew you secretly loved me natty!

i do hope your a woman tho :)

8. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

I surely hope your not spreding chemicals until you are licensed?

9. Chris Wagner

Chris Wagner LawnSite Senior Member

Some people confuse other types of grasses with crabgrass, too. So be sure you're treating crabgrass and not another type of invasive grass in your turf.

10. mark_the_psycho

mark_the_psycho LawnSite Member

Yes

I probably am.